Sour beer got way too sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a sour raspberry saison that i inoculated with a starter made from a bunch of Dregs of wild sours. Within about 2 months it went from 3.9ph (this was post primary, after the addition of raspberry. they were quite tart) to 2.8ph. Samples are so sour that it's nearly undrinkable, not entirely, but close.

It tastes like it's on the right track. Bright lemony acidity, fresh raspberry flavor that's remarkably close to the frozen raspberry flavor, however the raspberry note is fairly flat and one note. Very little brett character so far. very very dry finish.

Is there any way that i can bump up the PH while also adding some deeper raspberry and brett notes? I thought about adding a can of raspberry puree and/or brewing a couple gallons of wort and topping off the fermenter. (7 gal fermonster with about a 1.5gal of space)

I planed on letting this go for a long time, i didn't expect it to get so sour so fast.

a bunch of Dregs of wild sours
Bacteria from sour beer dregs are generally very aggressive and hop tolerant. You need to use an appropriatey high level of hops to both delay and reduce the sourness.

Acidity mutes yeast expression, and this includes Brettanomyces. By souring so fast, likely the Brett won't contribute a lot of flavor.

Your best option at this point is to use that beer for blending, with a non-sour beer with higher amount of hops.

Back