Sour Beer From Bottled Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvolutionAles

Reaction score
Trying to make a fermented and carbed wheat sour. So I've already brewed a plain wheat ale and naturally carbed it in the bottle. There are two cases of this beer leftover and it's just boring so why not experiment? Is it possible to take the bottled beer and pour it in a secondary fermenter, add some fresh fruit & lacto maybe some pedi? Am I attempting the impossible? Has anyone does this before without causing oxidation?

First off, if you just pour them out of the bottles, you will oxidize the beer. If you HAVE to do this, you'll want to siphon each bottle.

Second, the bacteria isn't going to propogate well in a carbonated, fermented beer. You really want them to have a food source and participate in the last part of the fermentation at the least.

I guess you could add a little DME or sugar, but then you are just getting way too complicated and introducing way too many variables that could jack up the beer. There's about 20 ways this wouldn't work, and really everything would have to go perfect for it to work.

You are MUCH better off just planning a sour beer on a new brew than trying to sour a completed beer.

Good luck!

Alot of people seem to want to add bugs to beer they have made that they arent happy with, its not the best idea imo. Especially pouring carbonated beers back into the fermenter, alot could go wrong there. Take Topher's advice and plan a sour beer from the ground up, you'll be MUCH happier with the results.

Back