Sour Beer and equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikek

Reaction score
Found a great kit for RR Consecration and also Tarte of Darkness. Both use bacteria obviously and I am trying to figure out what that means for my equipment. By my understanding the "bugs" are added in secondary fermentation so am I correct that my secondary carboy, siphon, tubing, bottling bucket and bottler would need to become "sour only" equipment but the remainder of my equipment would still be fine for routine brews??? Any help would be great....

Generally speaking, most people stick to these rules:

1) If it's glass, it'll be just fine to be used for regular beers later after good sanitation.

2) Plastic equipment (siphons, carboys, tubing, etc.) can also be used for regular beers later, but proper (and thorough) cleaning and sanitation is crucial. There are a lot of people who have a dedicated set of plastic equipment just to make sure.

I don't maintain separate equipment, but I'm OK with accidentally souring a beer. I have had one incident in my 3 years of brewing sours (and it turned super tasty). It happened when i hooked a keg to line that was still filled with a lambic.

Latest posts

Back