Sour ale hop suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
happy accident beer here- basically a kettle sour but with much more interesting sour character from non lacto bugs. Then threw some conan in there, kept cool around 64 looking for stone fruits.

Now the question - what kind of hops? little bit of noble type for a background note, or go for the usual suspects like whats in the freezer- Simcoe, citra, hal blanc, topaz, azzaca, eukanot, comet, etc

Forgot- got a buttload of el dorado too. Maybe thats the ticket.

I like cascade with kettle sour, kind of a sour grapefruity thing goin on with minimal dankness.

Yeah, that’s kind of where I was going with the noble idea- just a little bit of generic “hop” flavor. Cascade works too.

But I got a ton of el dorado now that I look again. Might just need to go that route

What’s the ph of the beer now?

Dry hopping a beer with low pH will result in something rather different than a beer with a more normal pH. Often times the character you get won’t be that great.

Different, yes. But can still be present and prominent, or at least substantial. Need to check again but was at 3.3ish last i checked at KO. Thats pretty sour, so not unreasonable to think a heavy dose of hops might buffer the acid a bit as well as bring another layer into play. Im circling back towards el dorado as sour cherry seems like it could work well (and i have a ton), but would like one more variety to help round out. Lemondrop is a possibility, but im not sure how much i have on hand.

Back