Soup recipes swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niteshyft

Reaction score
Much like the slow cooker recipe swap (which I have tried and loved quite a few in there) I thought I'd see if anyone on here had some tasty soups to try. Here's one I've been trying to perfect for about half a year.

Steak and Potato Cheese Soup

1 1/2 Pounds Top Round Steak -- diced 1/2 inch
1 Pinch White Pepper
1 Cup Clarified Butter -- divided
3/4 Pound Onions -- sliced 1/8″ thick
1 Tablespoon Garlic -- minced
1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
3 Ounces Flour
1 1/2 Cups Canned & Drained Diced Tomato
3 Quarts Beef Stock
1/2 Cup Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
2 5/8 Pounds Baked Potato -- diced 1/2 inch
3/4 Pound Hot Pepper Monterey Jack Cheese -- shredded

Season the beef with white pepper and sear in 1/3 cup of smoking hot
clarified butter. Remove and reserve. In the same, pot over medium heat,
saute the onion, garlic and cumin in 3 tablespoons of clarified butter until
the onion is soft. Add the flour, incorporate, then add the tomato and
saute for 5 minutes. Add the beef stock and reserved beef and bring to a
boil; cover and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours, until the beef is fork tender.
Finish the soup with the Dijon mustard, baked potato and shredded cheese.
Mix well and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.

My personal touches are a little hot sauce, a cup of dijon instead. Hope to see more suggestions!

I always like to start my soups with home made stock:

Chicken Stock (so much better than the canned kind...)

2-3 Chicken frames (buy 2-3 whole chickens, break them down into legs, thighs, breasts, and wings...bag those and freeze them, and use the left overs for the stock)
2 yellow onions, quartered (skin on)
2 large carrots, chopped large
2 heads garlic, cut in half
2-3 leeks, chopped large
2-3 stalks celery, chopped large
3-4 bay leaves
1 bunch parsley
1 small handful uncrushed black peppercorns

Combine everything in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer, and let simmer 6-8 hours, topping up with water as needed. Cool liquid (you can use your immersion chiller if you're making a really big batch :mug:) and strain. Can be frozen up to 6-8 months!

Here's a soup recipe that uses this, I make this for my wife any time she's sick and she swears by it. Its a SIMPLE recipe, but the homemade chicken stock is the star, and give a delicious result. The amounts are all estimates, use more or less of each main ingredient to suit the ratio of chicken to veg to noodles you like.

Miracle Cure Chicken Noodle soup
Chicken Thigh and Breast (use more or less chicken depending on batch size, this will give you a large batch)
1 Carrot (medium dice)
1/2 yellow onion (medium dice)
1 large celery stalk (medium dice)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
Egg noodles
Homemade Chicken Stock
Olive Oil
Bay Leaf, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Black Pepper, Salt

Fill a small pot about half way with chicken stock, boil the chicken pieces in the stock until cooked through. In your soup pot, heat up a few tablespoons of oil and sweat the carrots, onions, celery and garlic until translucent. Add the warm stock used to cook the chicken to reach the soup volume you want. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Add 2 bay leaves, a pinch of oregano, rosemary and thyme, a few grinds of black pepper, and salt to taste. Remember the stock has NO salt, so you may need to use a bit. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the cooked chicken. Add it to the soup, adjusting with more stock if needed to reach a fairly thin soup consistency. Add a few handfuls of egg noodles and simmer for 8-10 minutes (or per package cooking instructions). The noodles will soak up the excess stock, making the soup the right consistency.

Serve with warm crusty french bread.

strat: + at least 1.

That is so close to my recipe I won't bother posting it. I love driving my family crazy all day with the smell from cooking it.

I posted this in an older soup recipe thread, it's the old TGIF recipe for Brocolli Cheese Soup:
Finally found the old Brocolli Cheese Soup recipe. This is for 25 orders (lol) so scale it as needed. Just remember that it's not a thick soup...just coats the back of a spoon. Also, this recipe is actually 'engineered' such that it's supposed to be made ahead of time, refrigerated, then reheated and the blanched brocolli florets are only added then. It comes out a little bit thicker when you do that (but it's still not thick). This soup is all about getting the consistency right.

2.5 lb brocolli stems cut into large chunks
8 oz onion cut into large chunks
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chicken base
7 qt water

Combine in pot, bring to boil then simmer until tender (~30 min)
Strain contents and reserve liquid
Remove bay leaf and puree brocolli stems/onions until smooth

10 oz butter
10 oz flour, all purpose

Make a roux in the soup pot, do not brown

1 qt whole milk, heated

Stir heated milk into roux, then add

1 Tbs salt
2.5 tsp black pepper
5 qt reserved liquid from earlier
Brocolli/onion puree

Heat slowly stirring constantly until mixture just boils and thickens, then add

3 lb Velveeta cut into 1" chunks
1 pint Whipping Cream

Add Velveeta and allow to melt then stir in cream and add

2 qt Blanched small brocolli florets

Garnish with grated cheddar cheese.

Alright. Nothing like a Gumbo recipe to create trouble.

I just made my first chicken and sausage gumbo this weekend. I used store bought gumbo roux (beat me now, I deserve it) and followed the recipe on the bottle.

Basically, 1/2 a jar of roux, 4 1/2 quarts of H2O, 1# sausage, and about 3# of boneless chicken breasts.

I of coarse added:
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped celery
a bunch of garlic
1 T salt
2 T black pepper
2-3 T Cayenne
1-2 t of some "special" red pepper that I made-probably over-kill and not needed but yummy

It came out well, though a little thin in the body. I'll use a whole chicken next time so I get the bone marrow and dark meat fat in the broth. I'll probably use some chicken broth instead of H2O for some of the main volume.

Somebody's going to complain that I didn't use any okra.;)

Alright. Nothing like a Gumbo recipe to create trouble.

I just made my first chicken and sausage gumbo this weekend. I used store bought gumbo roux (beat me now, I deserve it) and followed the recipe on the bottle.

Basically, 1/2 a jar of roux, 4 1/2 quarts of H2O, 1# sausage, and about 3# of boneless chicken breasts.

I of coarse added:
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped celery
a bunch of garlic
1 T salt
2 T black pepper
2-3 T Cayenne
1-2 t of some "special" red pepper that I made-probably over-kill and not needed but yummy

It came out well, though a little thin in the body. I'll use a whole chicken next time so I get the bone marrow and dark meat fat in the broth. I'll probably use some chicken broth instead of H2O for some of the main volume.

Somebody's going to complain that I didn't use any okra.;)

2-3 Tablespoons of Cayenne??? . wow.

Gumbo

Roux
1 cup flour
1 stick butter
salt, pepper
Combine in a frying pan over medium heat and stir for 1/2 hour at the very least.
I stir for two album sides, sometimes 3. Usually the Meters, or Dr John. Clifton Chenier comes later.

Trinity
one big-assed onion - chopped
3-5 celery stalks - chopped
3-5 whole carrots - chopped

When the roux reaches the desired color, combine it with the trinity in a large pot. Sweat it for 10-15 minutes. Add a quart or two of stock.
Add andouille sausage - sliced.
Add some chicken meat.
Add bay leaves.
Add cayenne pepper and paprika + chilis if you're so inspired
Feel free to add whatever else you like at this point. It is gumbo...

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cook for at least an hour.

If you want shrimp, dump them in for the last 10-15 minutes before turning off the heat.

Once the heat is turned off, add a spoonful of filet.

For best results, make it in the morning and eat it for dinner.

Serve over rice with Tabasco.

I'm sure I left something out. Except okra, I never use okra. I hate okra.

Beer & Beef Stew

2 lbs beef stew meat, large chunks
1 yellow onion, medium dice
1 small package crimini mushrooms, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 carrots, medium dice
1-2 baking potatoes, medium dice
1 dark, not too bitter beer
beef stock
bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper
flour
canola oil

In a large cast iron or enameled dutch oven, heat enough canola oil to cover the bottom until it shimmers and begins to smoke. Meanwhile, coat the beef pieces in flour, shaking off the excess.

Add the floured beef to the pot in small batches a little at a time and sear until brown on all sides, removing and reserving each small batch before putting the next one in. If you add too much you'll crowd the pan and it will steam instead of sear. A good rule is to sear about half as much as the pan could fit totally full at one time. Add more oil as the pan dries up between small batches of beef.

Once meat is browned, add more oil to cover the bottom of the pot and add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until onions become translucent.

Add 1 dark beer to deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping with a wooden soon to get all the brown bits off. Use a dark, flavorful beer that isnt too bitter. A dry or sweet stout or an English brown ale works great.

Add the beef back to the pot and add enough beef stock to cover everything.

Add 2 bay leaves, a pinch of oregano, rosemary and thyme. Season with black pepper and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer. Let simmer uncovered to reduce for 2-3 hours.

30 minutes before serving, add potatoes and carrots and continue to simmer. You can adjust the consistency with more stock at this point if it's to thick. Check for seasoning and adjust to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with warm buttered rolls, and a large serving of the beer used in the stew.

SOUP - BILLI BI

2 MEDIUM ONIONS, SLICED
1 STALK CELERY
6 EA PARSLEY STEMS
6 EA WHOLE BLACK PEPPERCORNS, CRACKED
1-2 BAY LEAVES
4# MUSSELS
1.5 QTS DRY WHITE WINE
1.5 QTS CLAM JUICE
1/2 t. SAFFRON THREADS, CRUSHED
5 OZ ROUX
12 OZ CREAM
TT SALT & PEPPER

•SWEAT ONIONS AND CELERY IN 4 T. OIL OVER MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL TRANSLUCENT
•ADD PARSLEY STEMS, PEPPERCORNS, MUSSELS, WINE, STOCK, BAY, AND SAFFRON; COVER AND BRING TO SIMMER
•WHEN MUSSELS OPEN, REMOVE AND CHILL
•STRAIN SOUP AND RETURN TO SIMMER
•THICKEN LIQUID WITH ROUX; SIMMER 30 MINUTES, SKIMMING FREQUENTLY
•FINISH WITH CREAM; RE-SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER
•IF TASTE IS MUDDY, ADD 1 T. RED WINE VINEGAR

GARNISH BOWLS WITH MUSSELS IN SHELLS; LADLE HOT SOUP OVER MUSSELS. SPRINKLE WITH MINCED PARSLEY.

sORRy about all caps. That's the way I used to type in the olden days.

Gumbo

Roux
1 cup flour
1 stick butter
salt, pepper
Combine in a frying pan over medium heat and stir for 1/2 hour at the very least.
I stir for two album sides, sometimes 3. Usually the Meters, or Dr John. Clifton Chenier comes later.

Trinity
one big-assed onion - chopped
3-5 celery stalks - chopped
3-5 whole carrots - chopped

When the roux reaches the desired color, combine it with the trinity in a large pot. Sweat it for 10-15 minutes. Add a quart or two of stock.
Add andouille sausage - sliced.
Add some chicken meat.
Add bay leaves.
Add cayenne pepper and paprika + chilis if you're so inspired
Feel free to add whatever else you like at this point. It is gumbo...

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cook for at least an hour.

If you want shrimp, dump them in for the last 10-15 minutes before turning off the heat.

Once the heat is turned off, add a spoonful of filet.

For best results, make it in the morning and eat it for dinner.

Serve over rice with Tabasco.

I'm sure I left something out. Except okra, I never use okra. I hate okra.
I hate okra too. It is some slimy stuff. Some questions:

Did you mean trinity or mirapoise? Then again, it is gumbo, maybe use both carrots and bell peppers.
Have you tried doing the roux in the oven a la Alton Brown (can't remember the episode)? Making a good brown roux isn't the easiest thing to do, they are an exercise in patience ime. I'll try the live version of Dazed and Confused.:drunk:
Last time I made gumbo the sausage came out kind of soggy and I can't remember if I browned the slices first or not, maybe it was just crappy andouille. Do you think browning the sliced sausage would help prevent that?

And for all gumbo makers: do you pull the chicken or just cut it up? For me, gumbo is a good way to use up leftover roasted/fried chicken so I usually pull it...but it's already cooked.

2-3 Tablespoons of Cayenne??? . wow.

Oops, shoulda been a "t" I think. I never measure cayenne in anything, I just add 'till it seems right but 2-3 T was just the beer talkin'.

Arturo7,
Does making your own roux make enough of a difference to justify the time? If it is, I'm doing it next time but I was pretty happy with the jar.

I told you bringing up gumbo would liven up this thread, :D

I hate okra too. It is some slimy stuff.

Have you ever tried fried okra? (I know, it doesn't have anything to do with soup) Fried okra isn't slimy at all, crunchy on the outside & tender on the inside...
It makes for a nice snack, though I've even had it for lunch, with a little gravy poured over it. Mmm mmm tasty!
:ban:

Arturo7,
Does making your own roux make enough of a difference to justify the time? If it is, I'm doing it next time but I was pretty happy with the jar.

I never knew there was such a thing. Is it made by Betty Crocker?

(yes, that was a slam, just in case you weren't sure)

Yesterday when I was looking for pink salt I saw a powdered roux. Then again, I was just reading how some people just toast flour in the oven (no fat) and use that, not sure how that works.

I never knew there was such a thing. Is it made by Betty Crocker?

(yes, that was a slam, just in case you weren't sure)

That was the slam I expected before. What took you so long.:mug:

It's actually not a bad product. I only used it after a born and raised Creole I know said he had given up doing it from scratch because the jarred roux was close enough. It works a lot like LME for gumbo.

I usually like doing things all the way from scratch. However, I haven't learned gumbo yet and I was in a hurry when I made this recipe.

I never knew there was such a thing.

My wife's family are all authentic Cajuns from southern Louisiana and every single one of them uses this:

7660900052_full.jpg

That's the one.

Every time I do gumbo I make the roux from scratch, use the trinity, use stock, andouille and another meat or two, file...garnish with green onions...

My wife always said it's "too fancy". All of her family's recipes are super simple...jar roux, water, one meat, they never use all three aromatics in the trinity, usually just onion.

I tried the jar roux and it sure did cut some time off of things...I didnt really notice a big difference in flavor but I'm by no means a Cajun cooking expert. That being said, if you're careful you can get a dark brick colored roux in a fairly short amount of time with high heat. Just dont take your eye off it or your spoon out of it for one second!!

Back