soooo need some ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeddemon190

Reaction score
I have a friend who works at a LHBS. Well they have random bags of grain that people ordered and then cancelled the order, so he brought me one for free to brew up. It currently is a bag of grain already milled and mixed together so the only thing grain bill wise would be to add grain. I need to find a recipe that I might be able to use with these grains. I plan on weighing out how much i need for a batch and save the rest for later batches since there is so much grain. I will also need to figure out hops and yeast as well... So I figured why not let everyone enjoy this creativity inducing puzzle and post up what you would do with this magic bag of grain. WOOOO Experimenting

15# maris otter
9# vienna
6#unkown crystal (is says 6# crystal but the nbr was rubbed off, We believe its 20 or 30 for it being so light)
3# crystal 80
.6# acidulated

Again its all mixed together so ill have to split it and add more grain to hit what im looking for or use whats here and just adapt...

Lets see what everyone can come up with. FYI this will be brewed using BIAB.

My current setup is a 5 gallon SS pot as well as a 15gallon SS pot with bags for both pots.

It is all mixed together right? If so with 9lbs of crystal malt mixed in I would imagine you need to split it several times and hope for even distribution, unless you are brewing a really sweet style.

Looks to me like ya have two very nice 5 gallon brews!

Yea just trying to figure out style and what to shoot for. I think if i cut it down by a third. 11.20 lbs and add .5 carafa and some EKG i might be able to get a brown ale, but ive never brewed with acidulated malt so im not sure how that would affect the taste. that would put it at

(all estimates through brewersfriend)
OG-1.058
FG-1.015
ABV-5.71%
IBU-26.06 (EKG 1oz @ 60 1oz @15)
SRM-24.30

anybody with brown ale experience help me on this one? would that work? or should I shoot for another style?

It is all mixed together right? If so with 9lbs of crystal malt mixed in I would imagine you need to split it several times and hope for even distribution, unless you are brewing a really sweet style.

Yea Im thinking im going to split it 3 times or possibly 4

That mix is at a whopping 27% crystal malt...

I would guess you need to cut it with base grain at say at least 1 to 1 for 13% crystal, or perhaps 2 to 1 to get the crystal down to about 8 - 9%.

Maybe some cane sugar would dry it out ???

I have been cuttin back on the crystal malts, but I've heard, I believe dogfish head uses an ass load of crystal in some of their brews and their sales aren't suffering. Haha

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

That mix is at a whopping 27% crystal malt...

I would guess you need to cut it with base grain at say at least 1 to 1 for 13% crystal, or perhaps 2 to 1 to get the crystal down to about 8 - 9%.

Maybe some cane sugar would dry it out ???

I have been cuttin back on the crystal malts, but I've heard, I believe dogfish head uses an ass load of crystal in some of their brews and their sales aren't suffering. Haha

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I scaled it down to a 3 gallon batch, added .5 carafa1 and 4 more lbs of maris otter....10.5 lbs all together and crystals are now at 16%

How the heck do you mix the grains to make sure you have even proportions? It will make beer either way so I wouldn't overthink this.

That looks like a nice strong beer.

Just a thought, hope you trust the listing of the grains to match the grains themselves, the crush and the age of the grains.

Good luck and great yeast!

Just a thought, hope you trust the listing of the grains to match the grains themselves, the crush and the age of the grains.

Good luck and great yeast!

yea im just going to assume its correct...if its not then oh well. 33 lbs of grain for free, im just going to take my chance and see what i can come up with.. I think i may cut it down to small 3 lb batches and add more base malt and experiment with different styles, and ingredients to get something i really enjoy.

Back