soonest you've kegged a hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
Brewed an all grain hefe on Sunday (today's Friday)...4lbs pilsner, 7lbs wheat, 1.5L starter of Wyeast 3068. Had to ferment it at 70ish b/c my chamber's full of lagers. It went gangbusters for 36hrs then slowed down quite a bit. I was planning on checking the gravity just b/c it was so active earlier in the week & that got me to thinking that even if it was at 1.011, would I keg it this soon? I usually wait 3 weeks in primary but this is my first kegging a wheat (& first all grain wheat for that matter).

What's the soonest you've kegged a hefeweizen?

You should be fine as long as it's at FG, though I'd still wait until at least Sunday to make it a full 7 days. You'll likely get a lot of yeast fall out settling in the keg though transferring so early, if that matters. But it won't hurt to let it sit at room temps as is for a bit longer.

14 days, I have never kegged or bottled any earlier than that. 3 weeks is my average and they are clearer at that point, although that is not needed with a Hefeweizen.

All the beers kegged or bottled at 14 days were very good.

10 days and mine tasted not so good, was no point in taking it early. Extremely yeasty, and not fully developed. I did a semi CC to drop out som yeast, but it didn't help.

UPDATE:

Checked the gravity today (Tuesday), 8 days after pitching. It's at 1.010 & pretty banana-y (had to ferment at room temp). I decided I'll just leave it in the bucket for another week (don't need the keg until the Pacquiao fight) but it's good to know I could probably drink it tomorrow if I absolutely needed to.

Also of note....I scored a Kenmore side-by-side fridge on CL on Sunday for free. After work today I cut out the middle partition and started on the door shelves. Hoping to have a lagering fermentation chamber here soon (& get back my 23cuft behemoth for ales).

Cheers gang, thanks for the insight, invaluable as always.

I could probably drink it tomorrow if I absolutely needed to.
4p.jpg

What's up with these spam bots? I don't even understand their purpose - what are they accomplishing?

I've done two weeks, but I wasn't in any hurry. There's a guy in my home brew club that does a three day hefe...from brew day to glass in three days.

8 days. tasted great. But i find that all my beers, including wheats, need about 5-6 days in the keg to taste right. Even if I force carb at high psi for the first 2 days.

8 days. tasted great. But i find that all my beers, including wheats, need about 5-6 days in the keg to taste right. Even if I force carb at high psi for the first 2 days.

even the hoppy ones?

and what do you mean by "taste right"?

Couldn't you just let them ferment for a few days longer, than have them to "finish" in the keg?

When I take a beer "early", it could be a two days "early" I'm not happy with them in the keg straight off the tap. IMO you'd want them on the yeast as long as you can. I see no gain in taking them early (in my setup) and then have to mellow them out in the keg, since it will take longer than just letting them finish in the primary.

IMHO my IPA's are best within 8-12 hrs after kegging, it's downhill after that. But I like the rough taste you get, so maybe stirring up the keg wil help, which I've started to do but not enough data so far.

so, just an update: kegged last night. Sample was good, nice and banana-y. I've got it at 30psi until tomorrow, then I'll turn it down to 14 or so until Saturday night. Then I hope everyone will join me in a toast to Pacquiao in the hopes that he finally shuts Mayweather up.

Depending on how it goes, we'll see if I have any beer left on Sunday. cheers.

Back