Double IPA SonRise IPA (Community Mosiac Clone Attempt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1977Brewer

Free Dan Hess.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 65 F
Tasting Notes
Massive citrus nose and flavor, light malt backbone, clean bitter finish.
This beer won The 1st Annual Weatherford Home Brewing Comepetition last night. It's a fantastic IPA, and nothing at all like the beer I was attempting to clone. It is the first recipe I put together myself, and I am darn proud of it. Naturally, I already changed it up for the second batch, but that's not the winner, this is.

SonRise IPA

10 lbs. Pale Ale
1 lb. Crystal 60
1 lb. Cane sugar at 15 minutes

Single infusion mash at 154, 60 minutes

1 oz. Magnum (15% aa) 60
1 oz. Magnum (15% aa) 30
2 oz. Mosaic (12.5% aa) Hopstand at 180 F, 30 minutes
2 oz. Mosaic Dryhop 7 days.

I've been looking for a Mosaic IPA recipe and I think I just found one to try!

I'm still extract brewing though.

Would that 1 lb of Cane Sugar at 15 need to be lessened for an extract beer?

Thanks!

The sugar was a last minute audible to make up for my own mistake. My efficiency on this batch totally took a dump because my LHBS told me not to double crush because their mill is magical. It isn't. It did dry it out really well. I say leave it. I fixed the efficiency issue on the next batch, so no sugar in this one, but it isn't bottled yet so I can't really tell if there's that much of a difference. If you can get your extract brews to attenuate to 1.011 - 12, you might not need the sugar.

Back