Son:" Hey, dad, Come see what I did to your ropes"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddyk

Reaction score
My 5YO son was messing with my tin snips tonight. I had been away from work for the past 4 days which always makes him sensitive to criticism from me. Although I did not force him, as I was working on something else, I told him to put the snips away, as they were not toys.

Apparently he did not comply because 10 min later he comes back into the shop and says "hey dad come see what I did to the ropes". Which I did not think much of since he and his 2.5YO sister had been playing with a 10ft rope for the past 30 min.

I follow him out and see that he has used the snips to cut through the jute rope I had strung for my 6 hop bines on the South side of my barn up 22 ft to the soffet.

He nipped the leading edge of one centennial but the rest of the vines were unharmed, luckily. I re-tied the cut ends together and most seem to be no worse for wear. But I am wondering how much more my hops can take in their first year of growth. As soon as I trained them we had a big wind storm that tore them to shreds and I had to wait for side shoots to get long enough to train to the rope.

Ah yes, been there done that. Kids are much more imortant than hops and you have on your hands a teachable moment.

Mother-nature on the other hand.... Three years ago nearly to this day we had a wind storm come through and rip the growth tips from every plant in my yard. Still got some hops but not nearly what I had hoped for. OT, but that was my best year of brewing so there is still some upside.

Back