Someone to Double Check My Homework (Pumpkin Stout)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fells_Pint

Reaction score
I'm prepping my third extract brew (a Pumpkin Stout), and after successfully pulling off 2 ingredient kit recipes (an Irish Stout, and a Belgian Witbier respectively) I've decided to challenge myself and develop my own recipe and purchase my own ingredients instead of having a paint by numbers box of ingredients delivered to me.

I wanted to get the opinions of some fellow brewers for the recipe I've developed and make sure I'm not missing anything vital, or mixing together two items that may turn out horrible?

I'm basically mixing and matching ingredients I've read for other similar brews and hoping everything comes out nicely.

Pumpkin Stout Extract Recipe (5 gallon yield):

6 lbs dark LME
4 oz chocolate malt
4 oz roasted barley
8 oz flaked oats
1 oz Fuggle Hops
1 oz Willamette Hops
60 oz baked pumpkin
teaspoon pumpkin spices (or to taste)

I plan to bake the pumpkin at 350 for about a half hour, then add it to the boil for 60 minutes, while adding the spices with about 2 minutes remaining and otherwise doing a basic stout brew.

Again, thanks for any advice you can offer!

Why use dark LME? You don't know what and in what quantities makes it dark.

If you use light extract you have more control, and know what is going into the beer. I think you will make better beer that way too.

I'm not sure what the oats will do. You will not get any sugars from them, they need to be mashed. Some say you get mouth feel from them with just steeping. Since this is a dark beer, and haze from them will be un-noticeable.

I've never used Pumpkin, but without mashing, you will not get any sugars from it. I'm sure you are after the flavor. You could always add it to the fermenter rather than have it in the boil.

You don't say when you are adding the hops. I assume it is a low IBU beer based on these hops.

Good luck with the beer. Hopefully several others will add some constructive comments to help you.

I am drinking a pumpkin stout that I recently made and my recipe came out very well.

8oz Caramel Malt
8oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Roasted Barley

Steeped for 30 Minutes @155

6lb Light DME
3lb Amber DME

1oz Goldings for 60Min
60oz Canned Pumpkin ( I brewed before real pumpkin was available) for 10Min
1oz Willamette for 5 Minutes
3tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice at flameout

OG was 1.082
FG was 1.021
about 8% abv

Make sure you account for Trub loss due to the pumpkin settling out, I mean over a gallon of loss.

Let us know how it pans out
-Ben

Many sources will say that pumpkin will add mouthfeel but not flavors. I've brewed a pumpkin beer twice and did the whole baking in the over. I had coated my pumpkin with spices while it was in the oven.
Most will say that the spices are what give you that "pumpkin" flavor. I added nutmeg, powdered cinnamon, allspice, and pure vanilla extract. I used about 0.5tsp each at about 5 or 2 mins of the boil. I also added a little bit in secondary if I didn't feel it had enough of the flavors.
I did not keep my pumpkin in during the boil, I steeped them in a bag while the liquor heated up and then removed them. Good luck!

Back