somehow I knew this would happen eventually

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
employee mistakenly served Not Your Father's Root Beer to minors

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/did-applebees-just-ruin-hard-root-beer-everyone

employee suspended, but management (especially if they have an ABC manager, like here in the Commonwealth) should be raked over the coals, if not fired. managers have a responsibility to ensure their employees are trained and aware of the differences between soft drinks and hard.

employee mistakenly served Not Your Father's Root Beer to minors

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/did-applebees-just-ruin-hard-root-beer-everyone

employee suspended, but management (especially if they have an ABC manager, like here in the Commonwealth) should be raked over the coals, if not fired. managers have a responsibility to ensure their employees are trained and aware of the differences between soft drinks and hard.

Management will be raked over the coals for this, for sure, because, if for no other reason, someone will have to take the blame...

However, at what point does it become an individual responsibility not to be a moron? This alcoholic beverage is brewed by Small Town Brewery (clearly on the label), just under the name of the beverage is "ale with the taste of spice" (clearly on the label), and on the lower right on the front of the label is the 5.9% ALC/VOL (clearly on the label). It's also in a traditional 12 oz beer bottle. Furthermore, by law, it has the government's alcohol warning. I don't know how much more clear it has to be that this is obviously an alcoholic beverage. This sounds like a case of a moron that will make these types of screw-ups regardless of how much training he receives.

This reminds me of the saying "If you have to explain it, they'll never understand."

For some, the term, "Root Beer" simply means a non-alcoholic soda beverage. They probably wouldn't bother to look closely at a label, since it says, "Root Beer" clearly in the name.

As much as I'd like to side with the common sense of knowing what you are serving, I think that it would behoove the companies making alcoholic soda-like drink to put something very clear on the label to indicate that it is, in fact, alcoholic.

I'm not sure what kind of indicator would be suitable that doesn't also introduce a stigma element, but surely it can be done.

Plus better training for servers who REALLY should know what alcoholic drinks they serve. They might also should be trained in IBUs, ABVs, Styles, hops varieties, etc. Or maybe that's just my dream.

Did Applebee's Just Ruin Hard Root Beer For Everyone?

Oh, let's hope so. I mean, they can ruin ribs & chicken strips...

One of the children was taken to a hospital with minor stomach pains but was later released

Don't blame the root beer - they were eating at an Applebee's.

I know adult kickball is still a thing, but maybe we don’t need to harken back to our childhoods when we get drunk.

*LOL*

But it has the word BEER right in the name!

Let's put a big huge red sticker on alcoholic beverages saying something like "Not For Minors." Then, like those records with the Explicit Lyrics warning labels on them, the kids will want it even more.

On any given day you'll find that several minors are either served or sold to. It's not the fault of the product. It's entirely the fault of the server/ sales staff.

Not your father's pet chow...

d6f968be0303ada95a749436bd64073e_c6900a7e13273064c7b49532cfe40d16.jpg

That kid's going to have a story to tell his grandchildren...

"When I was a boy, root beer was so strong it'd put you in the hospital."

Back