Some browning of my cones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
Hello.
I just harvested a bunch of hops today. Some of the cones have some parts that have browned. Are they still OK to use or should I chuck the ones that have browned a bit?

So long as the brown ones still have the yellow lupulin, they will be good. The browning should be a small percentage of the total. I have used brown cones with no discernable ill effects. Remember that you are going to boil them for a significant time in the wort.

I am not certain, but I think that the browning simply means that the green chlorophyll is dead.

There are always a few browning cones when I harvest. It's actually a good indication that it's time to harvest. As the cones continue to brown, they will lose quality though. By the time the cone is all the way brown it's not really worth keeping. If the cone is just starting to brown it should be fine.

I seem to run around a lot and browning cones is my last warning that it's time to harvest. I use them as well, but to be fair they aren't gross brown, just "first cones" brown.

Latest posts

Back