some bottles not carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
So this is the second batch I have bottled where some bottles are not carbonated at all and others (thankfully most) are carbonated perfectly. My guess is this is a capping / caps problem but the bottles and caps look exactly the same and the capper is a good, sturdy bench mounted capper that I have been using for years. Any thoughts out there?

Also of note I use different height bottles so I have to adjust the height of the capper but it still seems like a good seal and appears evenly mounted. thanks for any replies out there.

Is there any rhyme or reason to it? Like the bottles filled first/last aren't carbed? Are you racking your beer on to your priming sugar? Can you twist the caps once they are secured? Are the bottles chipped? How long are you conditioning?

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the post. I didnt keep track of which ones I bottled first unfortunately so I dont know about that. I didnt try to twist the caps but they seemed to be on there firmly. when I cracked them they felt the same other than without the carbonation sound. The bottles are not chipped. My process is to mix the sugar in a pint of water and bring it to a simmer, cool it, pour it into the bottling bucket, the rack the beer on top. I dont mix at all. Should I? I bottle condition for 3 weeks before tasting. thanks again
Ben

Back