Solvent flavors from bottle-conditioning yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soviet

Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking for input from anyone that has used dry yeast to add at bottling time. I haven't bottled for years as I've been kegging, but decided to go back and bottle condition some beers for comparison. I purchased 2 packets of Danstar CBC-1 (special flocculant yeast for bottle conditioning), and I'm not very happy with the results.

The beer was carbonated within two weeks, but I'm definitely detecting a slight solvent/fusel character from two beers that I KNOW didn't have it (tasted in throughout several parts of the process and during racking) before it went into the bottles. New bottles were used, steam sanitized in the dishwasher, and also resanitized in starsan (completely submerged), because I'm super anal about sanitation.

I added the entire 11gm packet to the bottling bucket, without reading the instructions. Now it appears I may have massively overpitched based on the manufacturer's specifications. Do you think this could be the culprit causing the fusel? I don't use dry yeast much. I used common table sugar to prime. The other possibility might be that I didn't allow the yeast to come to room temperature before I opened the packet and tossed it into the bottling bucket. This wasn't an isolated incident because I'm getting the same character form another batch I bottled the following day (a very clean lager). I pretty much followed the exact same process. I'm kinda pissed right now. Any ideas are appreciated, especially from those who routinely use dry yeast for bottling.

There is so little sugar in bottle fermetation, it is hard to imagine it producing flavors of any significant note. Maybe bottling equipment causing something?

I have used dry yeast bottling numerous times, no issues.

I imagine the overpitch could do bad things, did they overcarb? Like maybe did that much yeast go nuts on any remaining sugars?

When I use cbc-1 at bottling, I only use about 0.5 to 1 g per 5 gal.

What do you do with the rest?

Sent from my Better Bottle

Back