Solo Stove/washing machine drum fire pit idea out of brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Hey,

I've been thinking about upgrading my fire pit. I just use a crap big box one that is smoky. I was looking at the Solo Stove, which seems to use secondaries like in my wood stove to burn efficiently and not put out much smoke at all once going. People also seem to use old washing machine drums, which have tons of holes all over them. The Solo Stove has a dual wall design with holes in the bottom and holes at the top so a ring of heated air comes out of the holes at the top into the fire pit and burns up the gases. I don't know how the washing machine drums compare but they seem to work decently.

I have an old 20G brew pot with a major crack in the weld that is about 1-2" from the bottom of the pot all the way around. It is just collecting dust at this point. I was thinking of converting it into a fire pit since it is free and it might work well. The question is where should I punch my holes to get the best smoke free burn out of it? I have hole punches that I bought when I made my E-HERMS. 3 sizes, one really big for the heating element, one about the size for 1/2" ball valves and one for the RTD probe that is smaller. Should I just put a ring or two or three of holes all the way around the bottom and see if that works? I don't know if I'd get any secondaries at the top if I put some holes around the top as the air will not be preheated. If I start adding a sheet metal surround to preheat the air it could start getting costly.

I don't have much to lose at this point, but I would like to make the best attempt I can to see if I can get it to work.

EDIT: actually, maybe i should buy a steamer basket for the pot. it has tons of holes in it and just fits inside the pot. I could drill holes around the bottom of the pot and then air would come in and rise up along the edges and go through the steamer basket after being preheated perhaps...

Last edited:
I can atest to using an old washer/dryer drum raised off the ground for a fire pit. they work awesome! I would suggest you drill enough holes in the whole thing to bring O2/airflow from the bottom and a whole bunch around the sides for heat disto.

do you get much smoke with it even if its not raging inside? I dont have much to lose so i could try that

I can atest to using an old washer/dryer drum raised off the ground for a fire pit. they work awesome! I would suggest you drill enough holes in the whole thing to bring O2/airflow from the bottom and a whole bunch around the sides for heat disto.

you're going to get smoke when you have a fire... if its excessively smoking it could either be the wood you're using, (i.e. 'wet' or eucalyptus) or you could be lacking airflow. I'm willing to bet its an airflow problem. You gotta make sure its spread out enough to breath but still sorta bunched up. I'm not sure how to explain without being in front of a fire. but no, no excessive smoking as long as you tend to it correctly.

i have good wood and good technique i think, but the fire pits you buy at home depot are awful. they always smoke unless you have a raging inferno going. i'll put some holes in the brew pot and try it out. i can always add more holes if i start out with too many. thanks! just split up about 5 cords of sugar maple from a friend's massive old tree. tons of work but tons of wood for next year too!

Back