Solids in Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGillette10

Reaction score
I searched the forums and couldn't really find an answer. I've got some solids in the bottles of my hefe in the bottom and floating at the top of the surface level in the neck of the bottle. I'd expect some in the bottom, is that normal in the top too? I'm concern they must be bacteria. Any thoughts? Thanks.

RGillette10 said:
I searched the forums and couldn't really find an answer. I've got some solids in the bottles of my hefe in the bottom and floating at the top of the surface level in the neck of the bottle. I'd expect some in the bottom, is that normal in the top too? I'm concern they must be bacteria. Any thoughts? Thanks.

How long has the beer been in the bottles? How does the beer smell and taste. Hefe s are supposed to be cloudy and if still young you may have gotten some trub in the bottling process.

If the beer smells and tastes fine it's not infected:) probably just needs more time, pop some in the fridge to force settle out.

It has been in the bottle a week. I was thinking I might sample one today, but maybe I will wait another week.

Give it another week then try one... If you can wait that long, then go another week and they should be done. My Witbier also had some solids floating around in the bottles. Didn't seem to affect the taste though and now I know about whirlpooling the beer before raking to bottling bucket and hopefully the next batch will have less trub.

Latest posts

Back