Soldering wires for the STC-1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the BeerbySmith DIY kit and have a question about how to solder wires to the outlets; the outlets have openings (holes) but not screw closures, and it is recommended that you solder the wires to the inlets and outlets.

I understand the schematics but have only done this on an STC-1000 using screw down closures.

For example, the ground (green) wire connects from (1) the power source though (2) the hot outlet to (3) the cold outlet to form the ground. I looks like you have to cut the wire to get it through the middle (hot) outlet, in order to connect to the left (cold) outlet.

Can you put about 1/8" of wire through one side of the connection, solder that, and then solder about 1/8" of wire on the other side of soldered connection? Or can you put wire through the connection, splice to the other wire, solder the spliced wire, and then solder to the connection?

Back