Soft Soda Yeast taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganMan

Reaction score
Hey I've been making soft soda with yeast, extract, and PET bottles for about six months now, every time it has "A taste" which I would assume is the yeast, Is there any way (aside from force carbonation) to avoid the yeasty taste? I really like a good creamy root beer but mine certainly is not that. Also could I put vanilla in it? FYI I use Rainbow flavors extract and red star champagne yeast

A beer making course from a national expert said that yeast taste is directly related to the time of fermenting. In a post here years ago I gave a link to that lecture. I haven't used your technique or champ. yeast for almost half a century. But I have switched to bread yeast in a different technique. I think it is much faster than champ. yeast and has no taste to me if I use a LOT to ferment fast. It is counterintuitive, but a friggin HUGE amount gives me cleanest taste - really fast. Could overpressure for you if not checked often. Bread yeast in bulk is super cheap.

Back