Sodium oops in Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I screwed up yesterday making a sweet stout. I am on a softener so bought 8 gallons of spring water. According to calculator I would need to add in 5 grams baking soda, started adding to mash water and realized I had sea salt and not baking soda. Ended up adding 400 mg to mash of 3 gallons spring and one gallon softened before I noticed it did not look like baking soda. Damn. Live in the middle of bfe so had to add the other 3 spring water and another gallon softened after mashing. Will this still taste good?
Two lessons learned from this, one, don't be cooking while grabbing and measuring things for brewing. Two, and this is why 8 gallons spring became 6, don't leave your water where your 19 yo son can take and drink it.

I screwed up yesterday making a sweet stout. I am on a softener so bought 8 gallons of spring water. According to calculator I would need to add in 5 grams baking soda, started adding to mash water and realized I had sea salt and not baking soda. Ended up adding 400 mg to mash of 3 gallons spring and one gallon softened before I noticed it did not look like baking soda. Damn. Live in the middle of bfe so had to add the other 3 spring water and another gallon softened after mashing. Will this still taste good?
Two lessons learned from this, one, don't be cooking while grabbing and measuring things for brewing. Two, and this is why 8 gallons spring became 6, don't leave your water where your 19 yo son can take and drink it.
Have you tested your water? .4grs shouldn’t have an impact on the perceived “saltiness” in flavor unless your salt level is already high. I use canning salt to increase my Cl ppm without upping my sulfate in certain beers and adjust with .4 grams. My tap is 50 ppm sodium to start and the .4 grams doesn’t bring it above 100 ppm. Also it’s a stout and stouts can benefit from an increased sodium level. I’m going to say you’re fine. The only thing that I could see being a issue is your tap water having an extremely high ppm of sodium, but it’s also only 25% of your total water used so you’ll be good

Taste is on you. I've seen guys take a salt shaker to their beer in the bar.

Taste is on you. I've seen guys take a salt shaker to their beer in the bar.
I have too, one of my friends does it to give it a bit more foam and flavor to bmc beers. A dirty glass would probably give the same effect
Starting to sound ok, I am hoping that the 6 gallons of spring water will make the difference and dilute the effect of the added salt. I made an extract chocolate stout last year using all softened water that was ok so fingers crossed. My hope is that since it was in the mash that some was absorbed by the grain. Guess it's time to get water tested.

Ya know, Stouts are among the most forgiving beers!
I wouldn't worry about it, and doubt you could even trace any of these "mistakes."
Even if your water is hard as a rock, it will make great Stouts! That extra bit of salt just gives it a tad more flavor perception. All good!

Back