Sodastream for Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience that they could share with regards to carbing mead or wine using a soda stream? It says to use only plain water, but then salt has an expiration date so....

I don't have personal experience, but I have done research on the topic across many forums.

From what I've read, if you try anything other than what it's designed for, the pressure regulator won't work right, and you'll make quite the mess.

That said, I stumbled upon a product called SodaPlus while flipping through a SkyMall magazine.
http://www.mysodaplus.com/

It claims to work on any beverage, and appears to use standard CO2 cartriges. I was debating giving it a try because I want to have some sparkling mead, and I don't want to keg it or prime it with sugar.

Some of the forums I read through referred to this product, calld Fizz Giz. It too claims to work on any beverage.
http://www.fizzgiz.com/

If I finally do decide to try one of these, I'll do my best to remember to post about my experience.

Not so much that it won't work, it will. But it can be messy as hell trying to take the carbonating container off the soda stream.

Its exactly the same principle as using a corny keg but with a keg, you'd fill it, pressure it up to carbonate it, then either chill the whole keg before serving from the keg or connect the keg to a chiller and serve through that.....

I think a carbonation cap with a CO2 tank, regulator, tubing, and ball lock is more expensive than the sodastream, but it'll do exactly what you want it to plus you can fine tune carbonation. Then if you want you can even carbonate whole batches in corny kegs

Latest posts

Back