Soda carbing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been trying to bottle carb soda with my stepson and haven't had any luck. I'm using cream soda extract with US-05 yeast. I've tried carbing in a 2 liter bottle and beer bottles. I've had no luck using the stock instructions with the extract. The soda tastes right but is a tad sweet because the yeast is not eating up the sugars. Is there a better yeast strain or any tips I can try to get bottle carbonation?

What are you trying to make? A dry (not sweet) soda?
Are you not getting carbonation?
If you're getting carbonation but it's too sweet, add less sugar.

We're not getting carbonation at all. We just want any carbonation at this point

Thanks Yooper! I'll get an extra packet of EC1118 next time I'm at the homebrew store! btw I'm going to be making an extract pale ale inspired by your house recipe very soon. The hops are different and the grain bill is similar but I wanted to say thanks for sharing your recipe!

We're not getting carbonation at all. We just want any carbonation at this point

Thoughts that occurred to me on this:

1. Water too hot when yeast added - killed the yeast.
2. Fermenting beverage too cold.
3. Old yeast - dead.
4. Water used was heavily chlorinated - killed yeast.
5. Inadvertently used artificial sweetener.
6. Fermenting bottles not sealed.

Back