Soapy Beer Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
Hello,

I have read a lot about soapy beer flavor and didn't want anyone to pass up the obvious like I just did. Let me explain. I am a very vigilant brewery who like to clean... so rinsing that didn't appear to be the issue. My last keg became soapy tasting just before I had some friends over for a get together and imagine how that went. Now two months later after my next batch of a Hop Hammer was fully carbed I notice that it was also becoming "soapy." Let it be know that I very fond of spraying Starsan up the spout of my Perlick and put the cap on as i end the night. Needless to say I noticed a ridge near where the black cap would seat it self on the nozzle. Therefore two led to three and i decided to give everything a simple wash with distilled water and low and behold the soapiness was gone. I also cleaned out the inside of my faucet spout.

Alibi: I didn't suspect that my drink wear was the culprit nor was I leaving my beer on the trub for longer than 2 weeks. Just trying to add my 2 cense to the body of knowledge. Just passing on something that may help.

I use a one gallon spray bottle with BLC then starsan for the taps and oxyclean and starsan for the kegs. I used to spray starsan up the faucet at the end of an evening and put the black cap on it.

I was getting a soapy taste in a few batches. I believe I was sparging too hot. Once I started keeping it below 170 I haven't had any problems.

I'm starting to wonder if I don't like corn in my brews. I've been noticing a similar, almost soapy taste.

Latest posts

Back