Soaking Cacao nibs and vanilla in Whiskey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an imperial stout that's ready for secondary, i wanted to add some Cacao nibs and vanilla. but i don't have any vodka. But i do have a bottle of Oban 14 that i'm honestly not the biggest fan of if i sit down to a glass of whiskey, so i don't mind using it in the beer.

I was planning on about 4-5oz of nibs and 1 whole, split vanilla bean. i'm just wondering if enough whiskey to cover that amount would be too much.

I recently did this with rum and I had someone pick out the rum flavour on the first sip. No complaints, tasted good, but you will definitely taste it. Either acquire some vodka or be ok with the whiskey flavour in your beer.

Vodka works good but I prefer Bourbon. I soak 4 oz nibs and 4 vanilla beans for weeks then add . Just put enough to cover, you might have to add a touch more if it soaks up too much.

I did a stout and used 2oz cocoa nibs and about 2.5 oz of bourbon. This was a 5gal batch. I get a very good amount of cocoa flavor in it a slight bourbon NOTE. Nothing that can really be fingered if you’re not looking for it. Next time I will be increasing the bourbon to try to get a little more flavor.

Mine soaked for a week and then got dumped in.

I would venture to say that you will probably run about 1:1 on cocoa and whisky/bourbon to cover it and with absorption after the week.

If you have a stir plate, put the whisky/coco nibs on that and let it stir for a week. Better extraction

Back