So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold crashing the Tart IPA. Decided not to dry hop it as the flavor is near perfect as it is. Nice earthy citrus nose with tart Mandarin Orange and Tangerine flavor.

whats that Tart IPA all about? sounds interesting, where does the tart come from?

Brewed this recipe, whatever style it may be.
5.2 gallons into fermentor

10 lbs Maris otter
.5 lbs crystal 90L (6 row)
.5 lbs pale chocolate 200L
Mash 153F 1 hour
2 oz cascade 60 min
2 oz cascade 5 min

US-05 yeast

What style is this anyways? Am. Amber?

I would say it would fall more into a Brown Ale category myself but I'm no Judge.....you can call it any style you like though..:) Amber, Brown, Porter all would probably not be too incorrect. And I agree with the hop load answer of the other poster. Too much for my Amber's for sure.

Waiting on my coconut porter to cool down to pitching temp now... I'm never doing this again without a wort chiller, ordered myself one while brewing

whats that Tart IPA all about? sounds interesting, where does the tart come from?

The Tartness comes from Lactobacillus. You kettle sour like you would for a Berliner Weiss until it hits a pH of 3.2-3.7 and then boil and add hops like any normal IPA. One thing you want to do is scale back on the bittering hops, as bitter and sour don't play well together. Mine had 26 IBUs in the boil and 4 ounces in whirlpool all of whole leaf Belma hops. I was going to dry hop, but the flavor is already great.

The Tartness comes from Lactobacillus. You kettle sour like you would for a Berliner Weiss until it hits a pH of 3.2-3.7 and then boil and add hops like any normal IPA. One thing you want to do is scale back on the bittering hops, as bitter and sour don't play well together. Mine had 26 IBUs in the boil and 4 ounces in whirlpool all of whole leaf Belma hops. I was going to dry hop, but the flavor is already great.

nice, ive been thinking about doing some kettle souring. thanks for the info.

I brewed on Saturday: a spruce tip IPA. It was going to be my first AG/BIAB, but by kettle wasn't big enough, so I had to use 1.5# DME.
We're going to need a bigger kettle.

Just got done brewing a Sage Gruit. The wort had a pleasant sage flavor but had a nice little spice from some mugwort.

Just finished my Identity Crisis pale ale. According to beer smith it has half the characteristics of a pale ale and half of an IPA.

Coconut cream finally in the fermenter as of yesterday. Nut brown keg just kicked so Strawberry Vanilla Wheat goes in

strawberry wheat.jpg

Brewed last weekend and just bought some yeast to get a starter going for later this week or this weekend. Doing an Oktoberfest!

Man, am I ever boring... lol Looking thru all these posts, Strawberry this and spruce that... Bit i did manage to order up the remaining ingredients to try out the Fizzy Yellow Beer, Undead Guy, and another 10g batch of my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone... I would like to try a Sommersby kinda thing tho... More beer forward, but with a definate Apply / Pear-y thing goin on... Anyone got a solution for that?

Since I am way too busy to brew on the weekend, I guess I am going to capitalize on todays nice weather here in VT and brew an amber ale this evening, after work. I don't have a free weekend until sometime in June!

6lb Bohemian Pilsner
4lb Spelt
.5lb Vienna

1oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 60min 15IBU

WLP611 New Nordic Ale Yeast

Gonna separate out a gallon and ferment with The Yeast Bay Lochristi Brettanomyces Blend.

Also going to pitch some of the Nordic Ale into 1gal of of Cider.

Second BIAB brew tomorrow. First was Rye IPA that I hit OG and FG spot on. Volume was was short 1/2 gal, so will add 2 qts to mash this time.

Tomorrows brew a Pale Ale:

10 lb. GW Pale Malt
1 lb. Briess Bonlander Munich
.5 lb. GW White Wheat Malt
2 oz. Best Malz Acidulated Malt
28 g. Admiral 10.5%AA @60
29 g. Ahtanum 4.9%AA Steep 20 min.
29 g. Cascade 5.5%AA Steep 20 min.
29 g. Centennial 10% AA Dry Hop 7 days
Wyeast 1098 British Ale

6 gal. Batch
Full Volume Mash 90 min.@ 152 F
Ferment 21 days @ 67 F

Planning to brew up my last extract kit I ave on hand Friday. Tomorrow I bottle Innkeeper Ale from NB, the kit to be brewed is NB Phat Tyre Ale. Then I go to all grain until I hit to cold of weather to brew in the garage anymore! Thursday I finish getting paint on the new brew stand base piece so I can start adding on the steel to hold the burners.

Mashed in the Bee Cave Hefe at lunchtime. Will get the boil on tonight after I put the kids to bed.

Well that was an interesting brew night.
I got home late, pulled the bag and checked the gravity to find 1.025... rechecked with the hydrometer, same. Noted the bag didn't seem very full of grains. Dug in the rubbish to find the grain bill receipt, yep was fine. Contemplated seriously throwing the batch out... then I decided to dunk the bag back in and give it a good stir. Gravity shot up to ~ 1.040. With a lot of sparging and an extended boil managed to hit my target of 1.052.
Opened my bucket of sterilizer where I keep my blow off tube and bungs soaking to find it full of mould, so had to do some panic cleaning and sterilizing while my wort chilled.
All good now and I'm looking forward to tasting this one in a few weeks.

Supposed to be 10 and raining all weekend, so our original plans fell through. Got the stuff for either a simple dry stout, or a cream ale. Might try to sneak both in this weekend.

Second BIAB brew tomorrow. First was Rye IPA that I hit OG and FG spot on. Volume was was short 1/2 gal, so will add 2 qts to mash this time.

Tomorrows brew a Pale Ale:

10 lb. GW Pale Malt
1 lb. Briess Bonlander Munich
.5 lb. GW White Wheat Malt
2 oz. Best Malz Acidulated Malt
28 g. Admiral 10.5%AA @60
29 g. Ahtanum 4.9%AA Steep 20 min.
29 g. Cascade 5.5%AA Steep 20 min.
29 g. Centennial 10% AA Dry Hop 7 days
Wyeast 1098 British Ale

6 gal. Batch
Full Volume Mash 90 min.@ 152 F
Ferment 21 days @ 67 F

1 point over OG and volume spot on. Spilled the grain bag and got my hop spider too hot and it warped a bit causing the clamp that holds the bag to fall off. Good news is the grain didn't spill into the kettle and the hop debris remained in the bag. All in all, a good brew day.

I'll FINALLY be brewing again, for the first time since last November. I now have a fermentation chamber and will be brewing my Fluffernutter Sammie Stout. First time trying this recipe. Fingers crossed.

i'm going to brew my attempt at a palm speciale clone, which turned out amazing last time. using a different yeast (belgian ardennes instead of antwerp ale yeast)

I am going to brew my second batch ever tomorrow of....Well i don't know yet until tomorrow when I show up at local brew shop tomorrow and pick something out. Hoping it is will be a good one.

Back