So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting my stuff out so I can finally do the Rye Mild I've been planning. Tomorrow it's my New Hop XPA. Then off to a Christmas party with two kegs to empty so I can refill them with the new brews!

It's 8 degrees out, but I'm heating strike water anyway. Guinness clone or bust. Say a prayer to the propane gods for me.

20 gals of oatmeal stout on Sunday. 15 to be dry hopped with Columbus, 5 a vanilla bourbon for the wife. 10 inches of snow due overnight so it should be fun!

Crazy brew with my brother today.

Black ipa

5 lbs pilsner
4 lbs Munich
1 lbs victory
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb oatmeal
1 lb instant rice
1 lb carafa 3
1.5 lb brown sugar
8 oz agave nectar

1 oz magnum at 60
1 oz Nelson Sauvin at 20
.5 oz glacier .5 oz ahtanum at flameout
Dry hop with 1 oz Nelson Sauvin .5 ahtanum and glacier

California lager yeast

I wussed out and only did the Belgian Dark Strong Ale, but in my defense I wanted to make sure I did everything perfect on it. Currently is chilling, super excited since I used my home made candi sugar which had a really awesome ruby red hue to it and smelled of raisins.

I wussed out and only did the Belgian Dark Strong Ale, but in my defense I wanted to make sure I did everything perfect on it. Currently is chilling, super excited since I used my home made candi sugar which had a really awesome ruby red hue to it and smelled of raisins.
Did you use the technique using DAP?

Brewed a Belgian tripel last night. Pull 1.5 liters of wort to make a starter for a Amarillo pale ale that I'm brewing tomorrow. Next weekend I'm going to brew either a Russian imperial stout or a dark winter saison. Trying to stock up for the long, cold winter ahead.

causeimthesquid said:
Crazy brew with my brother today. Black ipa 5 lbs pilsner 4 lbs Munich 1 lbs victory 1 lb crystal 60 1 lb oatmeal 1 lb instant rice 1 lb carafa 3 1.5 lb brown sugar 8 oz agave nectar 1 oz magnum at 60 1 oz Nelson Sauvin at 20 .5 oz glacier .5 oz ahtanum at flameout Dry hop with 1 oz Nelson Sauvin .5 ahtanum and glacier California lager yeast

An ipa with only 4oz of hops and using a lager yeast? I'm now sad :(

Trying my hand at the dogfish 90 minute tomorrow. Unfortunately looks like an indoor brew day tomorrow here in the northeast.

Have an IPA cooling as we speak. Pretty much decided I need to brew an IPA every other batch/week to ensure one stays on tap at all times. Need to start planning out some Superbowl brews now...

Yeah, hopefully tomorrow depending on what the starter looks like.

NB Waldo Lake Amber (extract) kit, with Denny's Favorite 50 yeast.

opiate82 said:
Have an IPA cooling as we speak. Pretty much decided I need to brew an IPA every other batch/week to ensure one stays on tap at all times. Need to start planning out some Superbowl brews now...

I do exactly that with pale ales. Every other batch. An ipa mixed in now and then too. I have a citra pale ale on tap. Brewing an Amarillo pale ale tomorrow and am oak aging a Belgian IPA as well.

Did you use the technique using DAP?

I hope my new-ness isn't showing too much but I am assuming you mean diammonium phosphate? Honestly I just went and looked at bdsa recipes and saw kinda what everyone else did, I figured since I'm only doing a 3 gallon batch I wouldn't have to do anything super fancy in terms of yeast and yeast nutrients. Does the DAP help with attenuation?

I hope my new-ness isn't showing too much but I am assuming you mean diammonium phosphate? Honestly I just went and looked at bdsa recipes and saw kinda what everyone else did, I figured since I'm only doing a 3 gallon batch I wouldn't have to do anything super fancy in terms of yeast and yeast nutrients. Does the DAP help with attenuation?

Actually, I thought you might have made your sugar using the info found on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/
I have it on my to-do list of things I want to try, just wanted see how it went.

I brewed yesterday, tried to recreate a yummy beer that I made by mistake once. Used my new mash (cooler + braided hose) tun this time, sparging was nice and easy, but for some reason my efficiency wasn't too good. Finally, I decided to make a split batch, one half is already bubbling away with S-04, the other hopefully will start fermenting soon on an unkown lager strain that I bottle harvested. It's a gamble :)

Grandkids were going to come out today, so didn't think I'd get to brew. Icy roads changed that, so might as well throw something together. Filling my HLT, but still don't have a clue.

So HBT, what should I brew?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

edit to say:
Thanks for all the help. :rolleyes:

Actually, I thought you might have made your sugar using the info found on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/
I have it on my to-do list of things I want to try, just wanted see how it went.

I hadn't seen that thread before but it certainly has some decent information, in terms of the technique it's basically the same as what I did but he added the DAP. It's really fun making the sugar and if you do like I did and cool the sugar in a no edges brownie pan you end up with little ingots of candi sugar (silicone pan so the sugar is easy to pop out.

image-3445649638.jpg

Waiting to get to strike so I can mash in! Maybe some good scotchy is in order this cold morning!

A saison for me today, my first attempt at the style. Happy brewday, all!

Yeah, hopefully tomorrow depending on what the starter looks like.

NB Waldo Lake Amber (extract) kit, with Denny's Favorite 50 yeast.

Got'er done, only to find out the Auber temp controller for the fermentation chamber is not working. Geez...if it's not one thing it's another.

It's currently sitting in the entryway to my basement at about 65-66F. Guess we'll see...

Wife (nurse) is working night shift on Friday and Saturday. Not sure which night I'm going to brew yet but I got the ingredients for an Irish Red Ale so I'm all ready to go.

Not sure yet, but I hope to. Considering how crazy the wife gets this time of year, I'm seriously doubting it, but if I can manage to get stuff done around the house, and because I got her a pretty nice Xmas gift already, it might happen.

If so, I'm either going to brew up a Belgian Trippel, or a Creamy Oatmeal Chocolate Stout.

Doing a helles - my first ever lager. Got the giant starter of WLP838 chugging along, got the water chemistry figured out to build from RO, and got a nice cool place to let it ferment, plus an empty space in the keg fridge to do the lagering in a couple weeks.

Back