So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing an American pale ale with homegrown hops I harvested 2 weeks ago.

5 lbs Maris Otter
5 lbs Pilsner
1 lb Crystal 60

Cascade, Chinook, Galena hops (mixed) 1 oz at 60, 1 oz at 15, oz at flameout. Dryhop with 1 oz.

Using a WYeast 1056 yeastcake.

Does this count?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

That's my kind of mad science there. Looks like a whole bunch of habaneros, a bhut, and is that a trinidad scorpion? Shape and color look about right, but I don't see a tail.

It's orange and one red habanero (came from a friends garden, that's why just one) and a bhut. Although about the scorpion: I went into work yesterday morning--it's five am, and one of the night shifters walks up to me and says, "hey, I hear you like hot things. Try this. I make my own beef sticks." So I grab it and say thanks. He just keeps looking at me, so I take a big ole bite. Then he says, "Yeah, I make them with trinidad scorpions. Enjoy!" and then walks away.

It was a warm beef stick.

About to finish up a double batch day.... The wort chiller is in the kettle... just waiting for things to cool down so I can finish up.

I brewed two and racked two. And... drum roll please... have enjoyed a few home brews - including the samples from racking to secondary.

It really is good to be a home brewer.

Brewed an identical AB clone batch from last week to tweak my new AG set up. The whole batch was intended to compare/contrast techniques from last saturday and (hopefully) improve efficiency, unfortunately my hydrometer met the concrete floor and is no more. At least i THINK i improved my technique! Go Bears anyhow.

In the middle of a 90min boil on my first ever all grain IPA. Using recipe from AHA web site for East India Pale Ale along with Gordon Strong's RO water recipe for his pride of Warwick strong bitter since I'm on RO water. Single grain 13lbs Maris Otter, single hop UK east kent Golding. Single yeast London All III. Hoping for the best while I enjoy a dunkleweiss from my last brew session........life is good!

image-3337681728.jpg

In the middle of a 90min boil on my first ever all grain IPA. Using recipe from AHA web site for East India Pale Ale along with Gordon Strong's RO water recipe for his pride of Warwick strong bitter since I'm on RO water. Single grain 13lbs Maris Otter, single hop UK east kent Golding. Single yeast London All III. Hoping for the best while I enjoy a dunkleweiss from my last brew session........life is good!

Congrats on making tge all grain jump.

I'm brewing up an IPA right now, which is close to the Stone Ruination Clone from BYO/Yoopers variation. 14 lbs of 2-Row with a pound of Crystal 20L. Nugget for bittering and lots of late addition Centennial.

Going to be brewing up a lager this afternoon (watching the F1 raced I recorded this morning right now).

However I realized my 2L starter was likley not enough (calculated 330 of 390 billion cells needed), so I decided to decant it and add another 2L of wort.

Now my question is: if the starter is going for about 8-10 hours, is that good enough?

OR should I wait until tomorrow morning to pitch, all the while the wort can cool to 50F (I have read somewhere that if the wort and yeast are at 50F already, no diacetyl rest is needed)?

Going to be brewing up a lager this afternoon (watching the F1 raced I recorded this morning right now).

However I realized my 2L starter was likley not enough (calculated 330 of 390 billion cells needed), so I decided to decant it and add another 2L of wort.

Now my question is: if the starter is going for about 8-10 hours, is that good enough?

OR should I wait until tomorrow morning to pitch, all the while the wort can cool to 50F (I have read somewhere that if the wort and yeast are at 50F already, no diacetyl rest is needed)?

D- rest for me are only needed "IF" yeast is under pitched and slow to start another way to check is taste a sample after primary. I haven't needed to do a rest since I pitch a robust starter and hold temp 48*-52*wort about 46*lager fridge temp. Results may vary :D

D- rest for me are only needed "IF" yeast is under pitched and slow to start another way to check is taste a sample after primary. I haven't needed to do a rest since I pitch a robust starter and hold temp 48*-52*wort about 46*lager fridge temp. Results may vary :D

Awesome. Hoping to have about 600 billion cells if I wait until tomorrow morning. The second starter took off like a damned rocket (about 15 minutes of lag). Since it is an all-grain batch with a thin mash I am thinking it will probably take me 8 hours to complete. But maybe I will try and pitch tomorrow morning with a cooled wort and test out the d-rest necessity.

Just brewed something similar to snpa using a bunch of leftovers. Just started my 30 minute hop stand. It might turn into a session IPA.

Brewing NB Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter as I type.maybe brewing on Packers game day was not my smartest move. But should be cooling at or soon after kick off. Go Pack Go.

Pre-boil wort gravity is off by a total of 3.4% above target. And as I was typing that I heard the boil start.

First time doing first wort hops, hope it turns out well.

Weekend is out, but I have plans to harvest hops and brew beer some night(s) after work this week. I think it's time to brew that hazelnut stout I made a recipe for.

I'm going to brew Jamil's Black Forest Stout (Cherry Chocolate Foreign Extra Stout) on Sunday. I rarely copy a recipe, but I've had a bottle. I was blown away.

didn't mean to, but it looks like I'll be brewing this weekend. Wanted to take a few days off, but haven't been able to. Looks like I won't get a day off until Saturday, so ... I will be brewing this weekend.

10 gallons Oud Bruin base Friday
10 gallons Ordinary Bitter Saturday.

If I can squeeze in a 5 gallon batch on Sunday, maybe a APA or IPA.

Brewing the Miller light clone from the recipe section on Saturday. It'll keep my BMC loving family appeased at our annual Halloween party.

Good luck man. I say BMC lovers aren't worth homebrew. Although I've gotten my bud light loving mom to appreciate my IPAs. Everytime she has one she is blown away.

Latest posts

Back