So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grains for a big blonde in the MT next to me. I'm using homemade candi sugar in this one. I was surprised at how easy it was to make. :)

20 liters of pear cider. Bulldog extract packet, breaking in the Big Demi. Nothing fancy but SWMBO thought it a good idea.

Not really weekend, but extended: 1.5 liter Sing Sing Cider and 5 liter Lavender Sparkle part Deux.

20170605_133151_HDR.jpg

20170605_133648_HDR.jpg

20170605_192756_HDR.jpg

Brewing an all German hopped IPA tm alongside of either the redo of my mess up of a cream ale or.. a saison which some will have a 'secondary' with either lambic Brett or roselare. I'm actually brewing WOO, FML. I hate being busy

Brewing a variation on BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. Using the same grain bill but Columbus for bittering (because I had some) and Exp Lemon Zest for flavor and aroma additions. Also using 1098. This will be a test batch for a keg I'll be bringing up to a week on the lake in August.

I'll also be kegging a saison made with Wyeast 3711 French Saison.

Gonna have to I think! My daughter's friend has taken a serious liking to my beer and has helped me reduce my inventory over the last month or so, which means I need to get brewing. Have two batches ready for bottling but have about 4 batches worth of bottles to be filled.

Now I have to decide what to brew on Father's day.

This weekend is sour beer theory crafting time.

4 Lbs of 2 row
1 Lb of Wheat Flake
1 Lb Red Wheat Breiss
.05 Oz Ahtanum hops
.05 Oz Hallertau hops
White Labs liquid Brettanomyces Yeast

Doing 3 gallons and will be separating the wort into 1 gallon fermenters. Gonna let them ferment for as long as possible.

Just about to kick the Flat Tire Crone. A nice mixed hop pale ale hitting its stride, and the CCC IPA going to keg tomorrow. So tomorrow's brew will be a session PA (<5%) with Amarillo and Cascade, to keep the summer pipeline flowing.

3 gallons of IPA. First time to use the mill, first time to use Nottingham and a good cleanup of my hop stock!

Heating the strike water for an APA. Kind of a spur of the moment decision but I have to refill the pipeline. Looks like brewing will continue for the foreseeable future!

Did 10 gallons yesterday, one mash then split into two kettles. Had a few hiccups, mash got stuck three times and then decided to stick even worse when draining before the sparge. Then I miscalculated the sparge and wound up with only 3 gallons of the IPA and 4 of the Blonde. Gravity was at 1.058 , so after I took 1/2 gallon of the Blonde and added it to the IPA, topped the rest of the way with water. Took them down to 1.052 so no great loss. I THINK I kept track of which one is which (both in identical buckets) but I forgot to mark them. So one will get dry hopped and the other will sit. Neither has taken off yet (mildly concerned, using Notty which usually starts with a bang) but there's foam present and some pressure in the airlocks. I need both of these ready next week as I'm down to half a keg of Scotch ale, and about 2/3 keg of a jalapeno amber that is for the husband (I don't like it but he does).

Brewing a wedding beer for my God child today. Kinda cool!

Belgian white with orange peel and coriander. Second generation forbidden fruit pitch from the test batch.

It's a White Wedding for all you old rockers

Boil day for a grapefruit hibiscus gose that's been kettle souring since yesterday.. This is the most complex boil I've ever done.. Salt, coriander, grapefruit, hibiscus, oh and hops! All at different times

Brewed an IPA yesterday, a nice step away from all the NE IPA’s I have been doing lately. I wanted something completely opposite side of the spectrum.

This one is designed to be intensely bitter and unbalanced. OG of 1.056 (expected FG of 1.008-1.010), approx. 6% ABV. Using good ole’ Chico.

100+ IBU with a nice collection of dank hops… Columbus, Nugget, Simcoe, Centennial and Chinook. 3oz of Chinook alone as my bittering charge at 60min, on top of 1oz of Columbus as a FWH. The only other additions at 15min and flame out. For the dry hop, a bit of “color” with a small amount of Galaxy and Citra (with a bulk of the dry hop being Simcoe and Nugget).

Water profile is very high in sulfates (350ppm) to further accent the bitterness/dryness.

Grist was a bit more robust with additions of munich, vienna and flaked wheat on top of the 2-row. Touch of carapils and 60L (5oz or so to bring color to 5 SRM).

Well after a year break, I finally brewed this past Sunday. Partial mash IPA, it's been way too long, and it felt good to be back brewing again. Now if this life thing could just stop getting in the way.....

Buddy and I are going to give Braufessor's Northeast IPA recipe a try this weekend. Hoping for 11 gallons in the fermenter.

Man...that grapefruit hibiscus beer is fit for a "King"....or as you say...fit for a "Queen" as well!

I'd drink one right along with ya' my friend.

I'd gladly do a bottle trade with you and send you some (assuming it turns out as good as it smells in primary, of course :D)

I will be brewing my nice and balanced house IPA on Thursday. This time my middle son will be home to brew with me, so it will be an awesome day!

John

I'd gladly do a bottle trade with you and send you some (assuming it turns out as good as it smells in primary, of course :D)

Absolutely! I have a pretty good pipeline of 10 beers now, so we can compare notes when your Gose is ready. I have a Watermelon Gose recipe I'll be doing soon as well.

I gots da brewin' jones again, but my post-fermentation pipeline is backed up, no cold storage space left. I'm thinking a 10 gallon batch of pilsener can lager for 3-4 weeks in the ferm fridge while a couple of keg slots open up.

I do have some wy2206 yeast in the fridge I'll have to start building up...a lot...and half a bag of Briess pilsener malt...and some Saaz, Tettnanger, Hallertau...

Looks like a plan...

Cheers!

I gots da brewin' jones again, but my post-fermentation pipeline is backed up, no cold storage space left. I'm thinking a 10 gallon batch of pilsener can lager for 3-4 weeks in the ferm fridge while a couple of keg slots open up.

I do have some wy2206 yeast in the fridge I'll have to start building up...a lot...and half a bag of Briess pilsener malt...and some Saaz, Tettnanger, Hallertau...

Looks like a plan...

Cheers!

I have almost the same plan! My pipeline is backed up, but I'm just going to make 5 gallons of pilsner and cold store it in my ferm chamber with a party tap for "samples" until a keezer tap opens up, then I'm brewing 5 gallons of festbier to lager until October

Dang it's nice having two row on hand. Bought a full bag for last brew day and still have 28 pounds left. Plan for this weekend is doing an Arrogant Bastard clone, subbing in Columbus for the Chinook since that's what I have. All I need to get is the adjuncts, and I'm thinking about tweaking it a bit with a very small addition of something smoky to push the malt flavors a bit. I can't smoke my own grain (yet) so was thinking some cherry smoked malt or some smoked wheat or rye. Or maybe something roasty. Or maybe reducing some of the first runnings...ah the possibilities!! And it's only Tuesday!!! Is it Saturday yet?????

Dang it's nice having two row on hand. Bought a full bag for last brew day and still have 28 pounds left. Plan for this weekend is doing an Arrogant Bastard clone, subbing in Columbus for the Chinook since that's what I have. All I need to get is the adjuncts, and I'm thinking about tweaking it a bit with a very small addition of something smoky to push the malt flavors a bit. I can't smoke my own grain (yet) so was thinking some cherry smoked malt or some smoked wheat or rye. Or maybe something roasty. Or maybe reducing some of the first runnings...ah the possibilities!! And it's only Tuesday!!! Is it Saturday yet?????

I just read an article yesterday in a BYO mag I found laying around the house. It said the exact same thing you just said about smoke malt. I've never made a smoky beer, had a couple but wasn't crazy about it. Just be careful with the smoke on the bastard.

I wished I could brew this weekend!

Latest posts

Back