So What Exactly Did We Brew?....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrewer

Reaction score
We started off with this recipe for a vanilla stout and we had to change things up a bit due to circumstances (ie the local HBS out of certain items) and we ended up with an OG of 1.040 and a FG of 1.012.
I highlighted our changes in bold.

So....what would you classify this bad boy as? It's actually REALLY good! :ban::tank::mug:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: White Labs Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054 <-----1.040
Final Gravity: 1.015 <-----1.012
IBU: 19.0
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 46.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 70
Tasting Notes: Malty with a great vanilla after taste.

6 lb. Dark Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. Dark Dry Malt Extract <-----1 lb of Light Dry Malt Extract
.75 lb. Black Patent Malt <----Changed to .50 lb.
.25 lb. Roasted Barley
<----Added .25 lb of flaked oats
1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes
1 tsp Irish moss at 15 minutes
2.5 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (add to secondary) <--- 2.5 TB added to bottling bucket as well
1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Steeped grains at 150F for 35 minutes

Boil for 70 minutes

After 14 days move to secondary and rack on top of 2.5 tbsp of vanilla.
(I know I should have soaked beans in bourbon, but thought i would try this, so far so good) <---- Didn't move to a secondary. Fermentation was done in 15 days, then we bottled.

Primed with 3/4 cup of Corn Sugar. <-----Brown Sugar

Assuming you kept the 6lbs LME, your OG was probably 1.040 because of improper mixing, not being low. This is assuming you topped off a partial boil. If you poured everything in, there is no way to 'lose' sugar content in the boil. So the OG was probably very vlose to 1.054.
In that case, you made the same recipe except for 1lb of light subbed for dark. With 6lbs of dark already in there, and 1/2lb of black patent, this is still the stout you were shooting for.

Assuming you kept the 6lbs LME, your OG was probably 1.040 because of improper mixing, not being low. This is assuming you topped off a partial boil. If you poured everything in, there is no way to 'lose' sugar content in the boil. So the OG was probably very vlose to 1.054.
In that case, you made the same recipe except for 1lb of light subbed for dark. With 6lbs of dark already in there, and 1/2lb of black patent, this is still the stout you were shooting for.

Yup we did top off a partial boil. So you're saying because we didn't mix the wort and the water, that threw off the OG by that much?

Back