So, well, hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reno316

Reaction score
Howdy, all.

New to this home brewing thing. Buddy bought me a kit for Christmas, and made my third batch last night, a wheat. First was a porter that came with the kit, second was an IPA that was a kit bought at a local brew supply store. Porter tasted good, but is as flat as Kansas. IPA got bottled Friday.

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about it, but I'm having fun trying.

In the NW Denver 'burbs, work in IT, recreational shooter and hunter, and a pretty fair dog trainer. Will trade brewing tips/recipes for dog training or a day plinking at empty cans with the .22.

So, howdy.

welcome...

On the carbonation how much table/ corn sugar did you add to those when you were bottling them?

Thanks.

It was 3 tablespoons maple syrup in 1/4 cup water for the 1 gallon carboy.

I *think* the syrup/water was too hot when I added it to the beer, killed off the remaining yeast.

Then, too, maybe I got a little impatient and opened the first bottle a bit soon. I'm going to let the porter sit in bottles for another week or two and try a second sample. They say "Good things come to those that wait", right?

It tasted pretty decent. Good chocolate flavor, hint of the syrup, etc. Just not much in the way of carbonation.

I've had some bottled beer that took almost a month to start getting the carbonation that I was looking for. One factor will be what temperature you store those bottles at. Storing them at room temp will help them acheive carbonation levels more quickly than cellar temps. And if you put the bottles in the fridge you're going to drop the yeast out of sollution and thus not have any bottle conditioning and carbonation creation going on.

Patience is one of the things I'm worst at when it comes to brewing. It does help though once you've brewed a few so have plenty of tasty homebrew already on hand.

Back