So, <this> is what a blow-off tube is for...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banik

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all- I'm a recent addictee, but a long time day-dreamer (years... and years).

Beginning of the year I brewed a batch as part of a 'learn to brew' event with some friends. 6 weeks ago, my SWMBO and I brewed up a couple batches to include in out 'xmas in July' gift bags (kits from LHBS- Arrogant Bastard and Scheiderweiss clones). This Sunday, we did an Old Rasputin and Fuller's ESB clone. Well. I pitched sometime around 7pm Sunday. ~24 hours later, I happened to walk down in to the basement (pretty constant 70 degrees in the summer) and found this on top of the Rasputin...

attachment.php

So, at first I Was going to go down the path of just replacing the airlock. Well, I pulled the clogged one, it spooged foam all over me, and this happened:

So, ultimately, I got to thinking and decided to try this- which, I think, is what a blowoff tube is?

attachment.php

I got that set up, took a quick and then let it go on its merry way... I could hear it bubbling upstairs.

Anyway- hi everyone. I hope to enjoy my addiction with everyone here.

(and for those who care, the og on that rasputin was 1.092 and the ESM's doing fine)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a blow off on all beers except Appfelwine, and I use a plastic water pitcher with a lid as my airlock for blow off.

My only advice would be to try to encapsulate your airlock with as little exposure to outside air as possible. You do need some for gas exchange. If you keep positive CO2 pressure you should be pretty safe from bugs, but my personal belief is do all you can within reason. Stuff happens you know.

My friend and I brewed a DIPA this past Sunday. We stuck the blow off in to a 1 gallon water jug that was filled about half way with sanitizer solution. My buddy went on a business trip, came back two days later, and found that the blow off had filled up the rest of the gallon jug and spilled in to the bottom of the fermentation fridge.

That was one angry beer.

joe

I had one this past week go through 5 feet of blowoff tubing, fill an entire handle of Jim Beam bottle, and turn the entirety of the bathtub water being used as a swamp cooler into the same color as the beer.

That way my first foray with dry yeast, and it was violent to say the least.

Back