So long Firefox, it was good knowing you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Firefox just dumped all my extensions tonight, and won't allow any to be reinstalled. Apparently, a certificate issue. Sure, I could still use FF, but the extensions are a major part of what I enjoy about a browser and what helps make online use a little less cluttered. Adblock plus, Web of Trust, etc. Switched to Chrome now. No idea if or when Mozilla will fix the bug.

Anyone else hit with this?

I started using Chrome as my primary browser in mid-2009 because it was available across all of the platforms I used back then. And once they added bookmark and credentials synchronization I was all-in. But I still keep Firefox up to date, mostly in case there's web weirdness to debug, and to add a few more monthly page-reads on pay-wall sites like Wired, NYT, etc.

Anyway it's pretty clear from the Mozilla Github pages that the developers are on the case and peace should be restored shortly...

Cheers!

I have to use multiple browsers for the work I do. My goto is FireFox. I trust it more and have seen it alert me to a security issue before where Chrome would not have.

i didn't even think i had add-on's...but firefox let me know they were disabled.....about 20 min ago...

I've got a bunch of extentions, but no add-ons.
I just trust mozilla more than google or ms, and sadly opera has gotten worse over time.

Firefox just dumped all my extensions tonight, and won't allow any to be reinstalled. Apparently, a certificate issue. Sure, I could still use FF, but the extensions are a major part of what I enjoy about a browser and what helps make online use a little less cluttered. Adblock plus, Web of Trust, etc. Switched to Chrome now. No idea if or when Mozilla will fix the bug.

I use Firefox with one extension enabled. After reading your post, I saw that it was disabled this morning, so I enabled the extension, restarted the computer, and it remained enabled.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkhtv8/heres_whats_going_on_with_your_addons_being/ may offer more information.

Try Brave. It's Chrome but with less Google.

Have you looked at any of the other Chromium-based web browsers?

I've been using Kiwi on my tablet and phone and like it. It has a black setting so it saves a little power and extends battery life on mobile devices. It's Chromium based.

In theory, a dark/black background won't save any power at all on a phone LCD.

LCDs have a white backlight layer behind the pixels that stays on all the time, regardless of the pixel color. Each "pixel" is made of 3 shutters, one for red, green, and blue. When a pixel is white, that means those 3 RGB "shutters" are open completely. When pixel is black, those 3 shutters are closed completely, blocking the backlight. No power is saved - the backlight doesn't change.

Of course, the black background might improve contrast and be easier for your eyes.

LCDs have a white backlight layer behind the pixels that stays on all the time, regardless of the pixel color. Each "pixel" is made of 3 shutters, one for red, green, and blue. When a pixel is white, that means those 3 RGB "shutters" are open completely. When pixel is black, those 3 shutters are closed completely, blocking the backlight. No power is saved - the backlight doesn't change.

Of course, the black background might improve contrast and be easier for your eyes.

I learned something new - thanks!

FWIW I have a LCD TV from a few years back that does not have local dimming and I measured power at the wall a few different movies and the wattage went down significantly every scene when it was dark. The Two Towers was a very economical movie to watch.

No idea if there is a similarity with how the LCDs on phones work, but thought to point that out.

I've been using Kiwi on my tablet and phone and like it. It has a black setting so it saves a little power and extends battery life on mobile devices. It's Chromium based.

i use chrome on my amazon fire tab and it's kinda slow.
tried a bunch of browsers and settled on that even though it uses the most ram it was faster than the dolphin browser and every other "fast" browser.

Looks like Moz has a hotfix. It might take a while before the mothership updates everyone. I tried installing an extension (WOT) a few minutes ago, but after it downloaded, FF wouldn't install it. Same message about untrusted certs.

Chrome for now, but I really want FF back as it has all the functionality I need. Chrome is kind of a blunt tool but it does the basics.

FWIW I have a LCD TV from a few years back that does not have local dimming and I measured power at the wall a few different movies and the wattage went down significantly every scene when it was dark. The Two Towers was a very economical movie to watch.

No idea if there is a similarity with how the LCDs on phones work, but thought to point that out.

i can agree, sorta....i tuned my tv, with the help of a kill-a-watt meter...But on a TV there's an option for back light....(i'm a poor boy, and keep it pretty dim...like my wits...if i remember it makes the difference of 40 watts instead of 60-70)

Is it an "LED" tv? Those are still LCDs, but they use a matrix of LEDs for the backlight. I think most/all of them have local dimming on the backlight (that's where the backlight is dimmed in areas of darkness). Otherwise, no explanation for your measurements. Also, for anyone who cares, OLEDs and plasma TVs don't use a backlight - the pixels create their own light, so they can truly turn a pixel off and reduce power.

Sorry for the OT chatter, I'll quit now :)

Thanks for the heads up on this. Looks like it should be fixed soon but what a PITA moment. I lol’d at the fact not one person said “hey, lets switch to Edge”.

Looks like I’m one of the few that still use Opera as a secondary over Chrome. It does seem to be suffering from bloat though.

Thanks again@MaxStout

Thanks for the heads up on this. Looks like it should be fixed soon but what a PITA moment. I lol’d at the fact not one person said “hey, lets switch to Edge”.

Looks like I’m one of the few that still use Opera as a secondary over Chrome. It does seem to be suffering from bloat though.

Thanks again@MaxStout

Edge is a work in progress. I don't use it, but I do laugh that it now (as of the last few months) uses Google Chromium as the layout engine to put content on the screen. This is the same engine of course that Google Chrome uses. Initially, it used EdgeHTML or some other failed attempt to sway the defacto standard to Microsoft.

I use Chrome. I tried Firefox years ago and didn't like it. I have one game that requires it. I don't know if it is the game or Firefox but it doesn't work at all well. I haven't been on it for a while but I think I recall that it totally locked everything up.

I have to look at Brave. Never heard of it before this thread.

Looked at Edge when introduced - hated it!

some background: given that Microsoft is moving "Edge" to the Chromium web browser engine, I'll likely to take a look at 'new to me' web browsers for my devices later this year.

Did you look at other options as well?

I use Chrome on my laptop, read a review of Kiwi as a good option for mobile devices and tried it out, but didn't try anything else.

Late yesterday FF updated my browser, I got all my extensions back. Now this morning I find that their bug killed extensions on my phone. Last I heard Mozilla has yet to provide a fix for Android.

For me, Chrome is only a so-so temporary replacement, and I'm not interested in migrating to some oddball browser. Waiting for Moz to get its shiat together.

And the hits just keep on coming...

I've started "un-Googling" my life. If you do a little research (Google: "how much does google know about me?" for a morning horror story) you would be amazed. Google is part of that infrastructure.

There are good reasons to stay with a mainstream, open source browser. Regular and extensive code reviews are one god reason. Therefore I us Firefox most frequently, but since I use the web a lot I have to keep IE, Chrome and even Safari on my taskbar.

My advice would be to let it roll for a couple days and come back to it. You're on a good platform.

Ironically, I did that same search (on Startpage.com, something else I also highly recommend. Go there and scroll down to read why) and saw an interesting article. While reading, I got a pop-up asking me to log in as my Google email to continue. Chilling that the web page "knows" I have Google email (I know why, but just think about that for a minute) and ironic that the same website who has an article about how much Google knows about you wants you to log in to Google.

tempsnip.png

And the hits just keep on coming...

They do :(

I found late yesterday afternoon that firefox checks certificates once every 24 hours (based on the local computer). So my single extension worked in the morning, but not in the afternoon. :smh:. Dumped the extension, confirmed appropriate firefox settings, and I'm "good to go" for now.

I am curious as to firefox extensions / add-ins you use that "help" with homebrewing. Even with a couple of decades of internet access / web browsing, consider me a "noob" when it comes to extensions / add-ins - I've never 'made the time' to look into them.

I seem to have somehow dodged it, all my family had it though.....

I'm using:
-noscript
-ublock
-vpn proxy
-download flash&video
-no coin
-duckduckgo privacy essentials
-don't f* with paste
-reload in address bar
-youtube mp3 downloader

Back