So i've really taken a liking to this .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
First off thank you all.

Well, I want to start creating my own wines from grapes and natural fruits rather than store bought juice. Exactly what kind of grapes would I need to make a great wine, what I'm actually asking is what would I need in general to make a great wine; Five of one gallon batch.

I love this hobby and I want to make a good recipe, I'm currently trying to get a job in a winery, I'm only seventeen though.

where do you live? Getting the right grapes to make great wine will be difficult if you don't live in a region that grows and produces wine grapes.

For example, if you wanted to make a merlot.... you need merlot grapes. Those wine names are often really just the name of the type of grape.

Grapes available at the grocery store for eating purposes are not the right kinds of grapes to make wine with, so you'll have to find a proper source or grow the grapes yourself (if possible in your climate).

-walker

Muntzster said:
I love this hobby and I want to make a good recipe, I'm currently trying to get a job in a winery, I'm only seventeen though.
The best thing you could do is research up on grape varieties, soil and climate/location, wine processes, etc and try understand just how it all affects the big subject of wine making - Then try tasting some classic grape varieties you've read about and try and develop more ideas as to your plans.
None of this will hurt either your homebrewing or your chances of a job in a vinyard/winery...... :D

I once managed to find Cabernet grape bonsai plants. I planted a couple in the yard. It took two years for them to produce any fruit. Maybe someday, they will produce enough for wine. Otherwise, they look nice and taste great.

Latest posts

Back