So Im pretty sure Im infected!! Need input!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan0914

Reaction score
Ok so I have a wheat wine fermenting with WLP051 cali V yeast from washed slurry.It was about 6L stepped 2L at a time. OG was 1.120.
So the problem
Im pretty sure I have an infection. The 2 carboys i have is fermenting have formed a scum that is traping bubbles. a lot like my other sours and bretts do.
so what i was thinking of doing is adding a lacto and brett cultures I have left around. Its at 1.065 so the ABV isnt that high. the specks are the remnants of the krausen but the main part is the film trapping the bubbles. I haven't seen this with this yeast before

2.jpg

4.jpg

Call me crazy but does anybody else think this looks normal(ish?)

Ever do a sour with that fermentor or other impliments that you used for that batch?
Hard to tell if you are infected by the pics.

I wonder what the film came from then. It looks almost like some that are on top of my sours minus the cloudiness. I've never seen this with any of my other fermentations. I think I'm going to move to secondary and add a new starter of so-5 and see where that takes me.

The first is my berliner second is a Flemish brown and last is this wheat wine. Has anyone seen this with WLP 051 of when anyone has used super moss.

image-2965731985.jpg

image-2267281433.jpg

image-598627909.jpg

I just kegged a batch two days ago that fermented with wlp051...looked just like that and I don't have any worries.

Taste a sample, maybe.

Side note...I don't think I like this yeast. I've tried it a few times now and unless this batch is overly impressive, I think I'm done using this...

edit: and I used whirlfloc

Ya I'm done with it also. I tasted it today when I checked the gravity and it's hard to tell with the over the top IBUs. I'm planning on aging this around 7-8 months

Back