So I'm in the planning process of a keezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
I was planning in doing a collar for taps, but I'm not a fan of the freezer lid showing. I was thinking of doing a wooden top for it that trims up to the collar.

I was imaging a dark color hard wood for this to match the rest of my furniture and to be somewhat resilient . What would be the best method of making this "table-top"? Iv looked into glueing 1x10s of walnut or oak or something similar. But I don't have that kind of tool catalogue. I could probably borrow if it came down to it. Would hardwood plywood hold up and or look at all attractive?

I'm pretty under educated in the matter so if there are any experts out there feel free to critique or help!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's nothing wrong with plywood for a table top. What you'd likely want to do though is use hardwood to do an edging around the outside of your plywood. So imagine a picture frame around the plywood out of matching hardwood. I don't think you'd have an issue with it holding up as long as you sealed everything properly to protect against condensation/beer spills/etc...

From a woodworking perspective, I think plywood would be preferable. It would be more dimensionally stable than glued up boards (although this may not be much of a concern in an air conditioned environment). It is also flat. Unless you have access to a drum or wide belt sander wide enough to accommodate the piece you are making, the glued up boards will most likely have a slight waviness following the warp of the boards. Using quarter sawn lumber would minimize this effect.

I don't see why the (properly finished) plywood would be any less durable than lumber for this purpose. The main concern would be moisture getting into the plys and causing swelling. If I used plywood, I would attach the trim around the edges with a waterproof gap filling glue like epoxy.

Mike

Hey centex99, looks like we were both posting at the same time. I live in Buda also.

The top I did for mine, left over oak wood flooring glued together and screwed to the top... in progress. I'm no carpenter but think it's coming along well.
174014d1390409158-fridge-keezer-kenmore-7-2-build-2014-01-21-14.09.19.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I like the look of that keezer lid sir.

I'll post back with progress when I get it going!

I used thin oak strips around the sides to make a lip. Painted the top flat black and covered it in bottle caps. Then filled up to the oak lip with epoxy. Also thought about using beer labels or he sides of bottle carriers instead of the caps. You can place almost anything in the epoxy.

Got my hardware in today. Went with ss perlick525s. Also grabbed bev elements 7#refurb tank for cheap since it will fit perfectly in the keezer.

For lumber I decide I'm going to use walnut as trim around the lid mainly for a contrasting color. And then mahogany for the sides and 'bar top'.
I also got a few 2x4a for the inner frame.

I should make some process tonight. Will include pics when I can.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392360816.305126.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392360834.404356.jpg

It's about half way there. Got the collar cut and fitted and planed and sanded.

I also insulated the collar, weather stripped the bottom of the collar, installed new hinges, mounted the co2 manifold and a fan.

The next step is to build the top for it. And than oil/varnish. And to finish it off, a coat of black for the fridge and probably a bottle opener.

I wish i could get a good pic of the bolts. My brother the art minor hooked them up with ano treatments.

They are a crazy mix of greens and blues with a kind of rustic look over all. Really fits the wood.

Back