So I'm a lucky jerk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
I've had pretty amazing luck thus far with free brewing equipment, especially in the bottling/kegging area. First I acquired 2 free cornies and a free 20lb CO2 tank. Then I got 17 free 1 gallon jugs. Then I met a good guy who gave me a great deal on a few cases of 22's. Well tonight was no exception. Driving down the road after coming from a movie and what do I see? 11 cases full of wine bottles sitting on the side of the road :cross: People probably thought I was drunk driving by how quickly I swerved over and stopped. Anyways I got 36 750ml's and 48 of the giant wine bottles, which are mostly green but some clear. Now my question pertains to one of the cases of 750's which were screw top. How can I utilize these bottles? Can I simply cork them like any other and hope no one asks me about the funny "French" design on top of the neck. Or can a cap them, perhaps trying to put a small blanket of CO2 over the wine and then poly seal over the cap. I don't see that last method being the best. I'm just not sure if I can cork these screw bottles. Lack of wanting to spend money of bottles is what has held me back, I guess me being cheap has paid off once more. Best of all, these bottles already seem clean. Boy I love recycling :p

My dad has bottled wine in old screw tops with just a regular cork, shouldn't be a problem for you.

Interestingly, I was talking to the manager of a large liquor store and he made the observation that he never had wine with screw tops go bad in the warehouse, but he has certainly had wine with corks go bad.

camiller said:
My dad has bottled wine in old screw tops with just a regular cork, shouldn't be a problem for you.

Interestingly, I was talking to the manager of a large liquor store and he made the observation that he never had wine with screw tops go bad in the warehouse, but he has certainly had wine with corks go bad.

That's why a lot of serious wineries are going to screwtops and trying to break the negative image of screwtop wine bottles. They really are superior and will prevent wine from oxidation and infection, but a lot of people are skeptical because they're new and different.

http://www.azcentral.com/home/wine/articles/0819screwtop19.html

Interesting how some wine snobs can't educate themselves to know a superior closure.

Latest posts

Back