So I want to brew a cinnamon porter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nashy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is my first foray into home brewing and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Could someone be as kind as to give me an overview of how do do what I want to, or link to somewhere that can?

Thanks for the help. /newbie

Pick out a beer kit style that has always suited your taste buds from Northern Brewer. Ingredients are fresh and customer service is great. The site even gives you all the ingredients. The brewing instructions are not just generic instructions for any of the kits.

You will need to read up on fermentation temperatures for the yeast used, the difference between a full boil and partial boil, extract brewing, partial mash brewing, or all grain brewing.

I would recommend starting out with a low to average gravity all extract kit.

It is much better to ask for advice before you start a brew rather than ask advice for fixing one that has gone bad.

Agree with the comments above, also I would stick to something simple for your first batch. Using cinnamon can be a bit tricky, if not done properly you can end up with a cinnamon bomb that would be hard to stomach. My suggestion would be to just pick out a kit that sounds good and follow the instructions. You'll learn a ton from the process and from there you can make a decision on what twist to put on your next brews. Some of my first batches involved adding spices and odd flavors and they tended to come off tasting pretty nasty. Good luck!

Nashy, I agree with both of the above posters. I would start with a pre-assembled kit of a style that you like. Brewing, while very fun and enjoyable, can be tricky and it would be a shame to see your first brew be undrinkable. I would also goto your LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) and find a local home brew club or group. After you tackle your first kit, find someone close to you that would allow you to watch and take notes when you want to up your game a little bit. In the end, home brewing can be as fun and easy, or as frustrating and intense as you want to make it. Good luck and happy home brewing!

Latest posts

Back