So I tried to drink a Coors light today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad flavorless beer or not, its reasonable when stuffing your face full of obscene amounts of food. Long live our home brew though!

I just won't drink it anymore it has been years since I had one but the last BMC product I had tasted of corn and it was just too overwhelming for me to even finish.

Coors Light makes me want to pee endlessly, great diuretic effect. Also, when I was a smoker I loved an ice cold CL -- there was no need to bother with the taste of it when you're downing 2 packs of cigs a day.

I've found CL works well as a sobering up beer. It's a cheap and effective solution if you don't want to wake up the next day with a hangover, but don't want to stop drinking.

I grew up in Colorado and drank an ocean full of CL. The only time I drink it now is when I go back home and it is the only thing in the fridge. Once it crosses state lines I can not even drink it for free. That stuff is not good to begin with and the further it travels the worse it is.

When it's 100 degrees out and I just finished with yard work I'd take a Coors Light over an Imperial Stout any day. An American Light Lager is a style of beer and it's not an easy one to make without flaws so I don't put them down, I just don't usually drink them.

I personally don't like wheat beers and I don't put them down either. If I only had a choice between a wheat or a Coors I'd take the Coors.

I had a CL at a house warming party last weekend. Everyone was mock checking for a fever on my head and asking me if I felt alright. To be honest, the beer was gone before I knew it. There's something to serving a beer so cold that it knumbs your tastebuds.

Also, I have never found beer refreshing. The last thing I want while mowing the lawn is an alcoholic beverage of any kind. More power to y'all.

Marc77 said:
As someone else said, the nice thing about cheap beer is that you can drink the hell out of it. When my college friends and I get together for a beer they'd make fun of me because I'd only have one or two craft beers (8 to 10%). But when we all got together and drank at a game or some get together I'd drink them under the table when I resorted to drinking that swill.

Yup. Before I got my buddies into craft beer this was me just about every night.

BMC is what got me into beer years ago, but anymore I have a very hard time going back. I'd take an ice water over a Coors Light, regardless the heat/situation/mowing etc. While I appreciate the introduction, I must say I've moved on and am not looking back.

You guys can't trick me. Coors Light is ****. As is Bud Light and Miller Light. Just because you can drink it when it's so hot that anything light and cold is refreshing doesn't make it any less ****ty. Try a cold glass of ice water. That's refreshing and won't get you drunk after 6 of them either.

Everything has it's place, that's for sure. For me, if I want clean cold refreshment I grab a tall glass of water. Nothing is better while I'm mowing the lawn than something that won't dehydrate me.

I'm not against drinking BMC stuff. It's fine. Not my first choice, or my second or third, but it's on the list somewhere.

If I get strong urges to drink BMC, I will check into AA.

But BMC does not interfere with what you are eating. Last time I tried one, hard to swallow it. With food, its drinkable due to the food's aftertaste.

this **** is so annoying. coors light tastes good. better than most ****ty homebrew with ten thousand malts, four pounds of hops, and fermented for three months at 70 degrees

meltroha said:
They are well made, just well made pieces of crap. I would love to work for them to learn how to brew though, they certainly have the technique down.

I work in a medium sized craft brewery, and even at the 100bbl scale, commercial brewing is very different. For the macros, it's an industrial engineering project, all hard piped dedicated lines, packaging millions of containers a day, and they pasteurize. They ARE masters of process control, however, and have exacting standards.

this **** is so annoying. coors light tastes good. better than most ****ty homebrew with ten thousand malts, four pounds of hops, and fermented for three months at 70 degrees

Then why do you spend the time to make homebrew when you can grab a cheap 30 and be groovy? Confused

most homebrew doesn't taste good. ask any bjcp judge. most homebrewers could learn a lot from coors light, if they would look past their own biases.

most homebrew doesn't taste good. ask any bjcp judge. most homebrewers could learn a lot from coors light, if they would look past their own biases.

Lots to learn from Coors, yes, Coors Light, not so sure (unless you're trying to make diet beer, of course, where taste is not the only/key consideration).

progmac said:

If home brew taste that bad to you. Why are you on a HOMEBREW talk forum? I'm a little confused at that one.

When i mow the lawn or grill for a gathering i love having a heineken around at all times.
Its my fathers favorite, althought he does drink craft he always goes back to his roots.

The skunk dont bother me and its actually very rereshing. Very chuggable!

If home brew taste that bad to you. Why are you on a HOMEBREW talk forum? I'm a little confused at that one.
there are a lot of interesting discussions on here. the light beer circlejerks are not among them. you're right in that i should have stayed out of this one.

I used to buy Coors Light because it was the cheapest beer I could buy that I could stand. I wouldn't buy expensive beer because I'd take it to my friends and they'd drink a lot of it and never give me any money. Usually they would not buy beer the next time either. It doesn't taste good, but it's beer. It's great as an all day drinking type of beer, you have to give it that. I used to occasionally buy Tecate too, but it is not quite light enough to keep going, and has a weird flavor that I'd describe as diesel.

I don't have those types of friends now, so I buy whatever I am interested in and if a friend does come over and wants a beer I don't feel bad giving them a great one.

Actually I drank something last night I consider worse than Coors. I had a Stella and it was disgusting. Given I had just finished one of my own lagers, but that Stella was terrible and tasted disgustingly stale.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago and I used to think it was an alright session beer.

Me and my girlfriend got home from dinner and after my shower I saw her sitting on the couch drinking a beer. I picked up the glass and just the smell was terrible.

Me - "what the h*** is this??"
Her - "try some, you bought it.."
Me - "really?" tries beed "I really don't like that at ALL!"
Her - "I knew it, it's Stella. I told you people only like it because of the label!"

Looks like I was guilty of only liking the beer for the label (having liked it before my good beer days I guess).

To play devils advocate, Coors actually knows more about brewing than almost everyone on this forumn can hope to know (unless your a person who has a PHD in brewing science, biology, and engineering)

the knowledge, technology, and skill that goes into making that stuff is beyond anything you would ever believe.

I dare anyone here to make a beer as bland and flavorless as Coors that matches its specs perfectly.

That being said, I hate the stuff myself. But I still give respect for brewing skill where its due.

Id also recommend anyone who likes the AAL for what it is (light, easy to drink, bland drink), to go for a Narragansett. At least their AAL tastes pretty nice.

To play devils advocate, Coors actually knows more about brewing than almost everyone on this forumn can hope to know (unless your a person who has a PHD in brewing science, biology, and engineering)

the knowledge, technology, and skill that goes into making that stuff is beyond anything you would ever believe.

I dare anyone here to make a beer as bland and flavorless as Coors that matches its specs perfectly.

That being said, I hate the stuff myself. But I still give respect for brewing skill where its due.

Id also recommend anyone who likes the AAL for what it is (light, easy to drink, bland drink), to go for a Narragansett. At least their AAL tastes pretty nice.

This. Light beers are the most difficult to make consistently every time. ANY off flavor will surely shine through a bland beer.

Actually I drank something last night I consider worse than Coors. I had a Stella and it was disgusting. Given I had just finished one of my own lagers, but that Stella was terrible and tasted disgustingly stale.

I couldn't agree more. I think Stella must be the name of the girl they use to "process" this stuff. Absolutely horribly.

I recently met a guy from Belgium, as expected we started talking BEER.
He said that in his home country Stella is considered trash.
He recommended Rodenbach. I might need to take an inspiration trip to Total Wine

progmac said:

Yep. There's a lot of bad homebrew out there. I'll bet if you forced most BJCP judges to choose between drinking a six-pack of Coors Light or a six-pack of a competition beer selected completely at random, they'd probably take the Coors!

will_rouse said:

"Homebrew" doesn't taste bad. "Bad homebrew" tastes bad. And there's a lot of it out there.

My early brews weren't good. After 6 1/2 years of practice, of refining my processes, of constantly striving for improvement, I think the quality of what I put out now is up there with respectable craft breweries.

But if my beer still tasted like the swill I made 6 1/2 years ago, I wouldn't still be brewing.

"Homebrew" doesn't taste bad. "Bad homebrew" tastes bad. And there's a lot of it out there.

My early brews weren't good. After 6 1/2 years of practice, of refining my processes, of constantly striving for improvement, I think the quality of what I put out now is up there with respectable craft breweries.

But if my beer still tasted like the swill I made 6 1/2 years ago, I wouldn't still be brewing.

Everyone has to start somewhere! I've been doing it a little over 8 years now and I actually prefer some of the clones i make over the original beers as I've had time to customize them to my palate. I still screw up though, I've got an english mild that got too hot and developed a fusel problem. If it doesn't condition out I'll have to pour it, and I certainly won't be giving it to my friends. I think one of the best things about any hobby is the ability to refine techniques and to continue raising the bar. In brewing there is always something to experiment with and to me that is what makes it so much fun :D

Yep. There's a lot of bad homebrew out there. I'll bet if you forced most BJCP judges to choose between drinking a six-pack of Coors Light or a six-pack of a competition beer selected completely at random, they'd probably take the Coors!

I know when I was a newbie, I entered to see what I needed to improve. Now, I don't enter my beers, mostly due to the time factor and I do not brew to style.

I have seen how some people brew beers.. I would not be a judge even if they pay me.

Hold up.

Stella is referred to as "euro trash lager" for a reason.

And coors, miller, and bud are party beers for a reason as well.

What's that reason?! They're cheap , drinkable and well made! To say they're bad brewers is asinine. However at the same time, homebrew tastes as good as it does simply because its fresh. Similarly as boxed lasagna is less pleasing than homemade. At the same time you need to to know how to cook, as you need to know how to brew.

I haven't tried tons and tons of homebrew but generally speaking, if you don't overheat/burn your wort and stay sanitized, it's pretty hard to make some undrinkable as say natty(and brew up some sort of organized recipe whether obtained or created. Obviously if you make lasagna with eggs, bacon and ketchup don't expect an award winning lasagna :/)

Coors is big for a reason. They brew consistent (the art of brewing/cooking something the same every single time alone is a feat), AND well received/profitable (let's be honest, you wouldn't mind being the CEO of Coors), AND if you've read anything on the brewers you know they are no joke. I'd go as far as to say they're right up there with craft breweries as far as skill.

BUT I feel like that primary demographic for coors is college kids, red necks, and alcoholics.... Blehhhhh.

Plus even i didnt honebrew, I'd so much rather spend the extra .99 on some with a touch more class and flavor. Hell there's some stupid cheap canned ales and lagers and even sam or sierra nevada for 12 a 12pk(connecticut) that make coors look like moose piss <--- see what I did there! **** I'd drink anchor steam in mass before coors. Or corona/longboard even.

I guess, if you want to drink beer, spend the extra cents and drink a beer worth drinking. If I'm gunna party or cookout and need a coors I'd probably grab a nice cooler or cocktail before coors.

Holy crap. Sorry for the book :/

These threads trashing BMC never cease to amaze me. I understand we all brew beer and that we love a good beer. But trashing BMC is just plain silly if it is not what you enjoy drinking. I do not enjoy hoppy beers at all and it would be silly for me to trash IPA's and such just because I do not enjoy them.

I drink BMC often and I enjoy them when I do. I also drink my home brew and enjoy it just as much.

I don't think people are trashing the taste/quality/consistency of BMC, what's being trashed (for the most part) is the idea of BMC. I choose craft, micro, and homebrew to support the little guys and drink local. Same with many other purchases I make, I try to support the local scene.

Back