So I really am a noob. I'm brewing an oatmeal stout as a partial mash for my third br

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob1979

Reaction score
It's a small batch 2.5 gal, in a Mr Beer fermenter, and to try to prevent beersplossion I have put the lid on without tightening it, thinking less pressure less force. Any thoughts, thanks and cheers.

Yes, less resistance pressure will help prevent an explosion, but will still leave the option of a big foamy mess open. I highly suggest getting some Fermcap-S if you are wanting to push the available volume in your fermenter without making a mess. It helps a lot!

Thanks geoffm33, I was thinking the same thing. I was worried about the vent clogging, because the lid is opaque I wouldn't be able to see that. It sounds like problems start with pressure as vents become clogged.

I have seen a low foam on top of this oatmeal stout for three days, but no real energetic krausen. I gently shook the fermenter yesterday, but fermentation hasn't picked up. I just read a thread on an IPA that didn't have a krausen and turned out. Is there a chance this is what is happening, or does us-05 need pressure to get going?

In my experience...Compared to S-04 and other yeasts, US-05 Isn't as "energetic."

Also just a little tip if you do another 2.5 gallon batch with the Mr. Beer keg...Don't worry too much about an explosion, probably won't happen..But! It can leak if fermentation is rigorous enough, and leak down the sides - all over your table, floor etc...Just put a pan or plate under the keg :)

Thanks, I ran out of home-brew and don't really think BMC is the end all be all, so its hard to RDWHAHB. I am using an unused shower as the fermentation containment for overflow, its convenient as all I would need to do is wash it down.

Latest posts

Back