So I messed up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mabus

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I brewed a partial mash Porter. I had a fairly short window of time to brew and wasn't thinking it through clearly enough. Unfortunately, I added the grains to the cold water, like one might do for steeping grains, and heated to my mash temp (152F) instead of mashing in the already-heated water. I didn't take an OG reading because I was in a bit of a rush and forgot.

Has anyone blundered like this? If so, what effect(s) can I expect to the finished beer? :confused:

I'm going to take a gravity reading soon and taste the sample to see where it's at. I plan on adding some bourbon soaked whiskey barrel chips when est. FG is attained. Maybe some vanilla as well.

Thanks for any insight.

im confused...are you saying your total mash time was from cold water heated to mash temp and you didnt account for the time needed to reach mash temp?

How long did you mash? im guessing if you at least got to mash temp and held it there for more than 20min or so you should eb OK. conversion doesnt take too long in most cases

You'll be ok. The bigger concern is overshooting mash temp and denaturing the enzymes. A lot of people actually suggest undershooting for this reason. Not to the level of adding the grains cold, but by a few degrees. You also often see a protein rest in mash schedules at 110F or somewhere around there.

I think you'll be fine.

I've forgotten to take an OG reading a few times... Due to extensive product sampling... I just guesstimate that OG based on my expected gravity and mash efficiency.

I did mash for 60 minutes after reaching 152. I'm wondering what effect, if any, it'll have soaking the grains in the coolish water for the 20 minutes or so that it took to reach my mash temp. I've never done a step mash (i.e., 20 mins at 122F, step up to 145F, or whatever), but that's supposed to affect conversion, I believe. I've never heard of anyone adding the grains to the cold water like I did.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll report back after I've taken a sample.

I would suspect that you will have extracted more fermentable sugars so you will end up with a beer a bit drier than intended. But since a large portion of your fermentables come from your extract the damage (if any) will be minimal.

Thanks again. I took a gravity reading yesterday (10 days after brew day) and it is at 1.005. Tasted the sample and it tasted good. I figured it would draw out more fermentables, but wasn't sure of any other effects that would arise. I added the bourbon and whiskey wood chips yesterday as well. I'll decide whether to add vanilla when it's time to keg.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back