So I made rocket fuel and now people want to try it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
As the title says, my first batch of apple wine is more or less rocket fuel but now friends and family want to try it just for fun.

It has been racked twice, has been aged in a carboy for a month, and I know wisdom says to leave it be (even if it *is* rocket fuel) and it will be better after another month or so have passed.

However, I was wondering, if there a method of sneaking 3 or 4 glasses from the carboy and getting away with it? I have a feeling you guys will tell me to just top up with a commercial wine. But any other suggestions beyond that? Can I just make up equal parts of apple juice and sugar and let it go back into a fermentation cycle? I am fine with letting this go on and on in a loop (I know how it sounds, what the hell am I doing, right? haha). Well I've got other apple wines on the go now and I'm okay with this one being tapped into.

Thanks everybody

Depending on the ABV of the wine, if it's "rocket fuel", it won't be better in a month or two- more like 9-12 months.

if you want to sample, then go ahead and bottle the rest. You don't want to restart fermentation by topping up with more fermentables, as that would only slow down the finishing of the wine and the aging process.

If it's clear, and no longer dropping any sediment, bottle it and drink some if you'd like.

if it's not clear, I wouldn't let anyone sample it yet as it's just not ready. Not only would you have rocket fuel, but if there is still alot of yeast in suspension there could be some unpleasant digestive issues for unsuspecting drinkers.

Hey Yooper :)

It's not 100% clear by any means... but getting there! I sampled some with the boyfriend and now the parents would like to try. So I was hoping to give some to them tomorrow while visiting.

I wish I purchased some corks! Will it be okay for the time being until I obtain the corks? Say a week at most? Or should I find a way to top it up now (since I cannot bottle it just yet).

Thanks!

Depending on the ABV of the wine, if it's "rocket fuel", it won't be better in a month or two- more like 9-12 months.

if you want to sample, then go ahead and bottle the rest. You don't want to restart fermentation by topping up with more fermentables, as that would only slow down the finishing of the wine and the aging process.

If it's clear, and no longer dropping any sediment, bottle it and drink some if you'd like.

if it's not clear, I wouldn't let anyone sample it yet as it's just not ready. Not only would you have rocket fuel, but if there is still alot of yeast in suspension there could be some unpleasant digestive issues for unsuspecting drinkers.

I was worried about the "active yeast" as well on some tummies but I keep thinking that the acidic environment of the stomach will just kill it all off anyhow.

I was thinking that Sima or something very similar doesn't call for stabilizers of any kind and hence many yeastie beasties are active at time of consumption, no? Or am I totally out to lunch? Lol ;-p (I'm out to lunch anyway)

It's not very clear yet (but getting there). Sadly I forgot to add pectic enzyme to this batch (it was my first wine attempt and I realize too late into fermentation so I skipped it altogether).

Well I gave a glass to the boyfriend and he was impressed with how much it tasted like a fruity white wine. Believe or not it WASN'T rocket fuel!

I received some nice beer bottles from my parents that will only take caps. Now I am contemplating carbonating the wine a bit and bottling it in the beer bottles.

I just need a capper for that...

Yep, I used to drink the bottom of a carboy but after the last time I did it I think Im done with that adventure.

So tummy troubles ensue? o_O
I thought the yeast would be killed in the acidic environment of the stomach with little to no... effect?
I guess this is naive thinking on my part?

I like that reply as well :)

you can do it to a certain extent but if you drink too much trust me you will have heartburn from hell.

I make watermelon rocket fuel with tons of brown sugar. I just back sweeten at time of consumption with whatever juice I have.

You should always have enough smaller vessels with airlocks that you can split a batch. If you get 2 x 5 liter and 2 x 4 liter glass jugs, then you're good for a 5 gallon (19 litre) batch. The remaining 1 liter or so is your slurry and your sample (hint: the sample comes out at the beginning of the siphon, not the end).

Other hint: go easy on the sugar and you won't produce rocket fuel. If you don't produce rocket fuel, then you don't need to age it.

As the title says, my first batch of apple wine is more or less rocket fuel but now friends and family want to try it just for fun.

It has been racked twice, has been aged in a carboy for a month, and I know wisdom says to leave it be (even if it *is* rocket fuel) and it will be better after another month or so have passed.

However, I was wondering, if there a method of sneaking 3 or 4 glasses from the carboy and getting away with it? I have a feeling you guys will tell me to just top up with a commercial wine. But any other suggestions beyond that? Can I just make up equal parts of apple juice and sugar and let it go back into a fermentation cycle? I am fine with letting this go on and on in a loop (I know how it sounds, what the hell am I doing, right? haha). Well I've got other apple wines on the go now and I'm okay with this one being tapped into.

Thanks everybody

Yes, you can replace the missing liquid with a sufficient number of tied-off water filled condoms.

This thread is the most entertaining thing I've read in some time. Seriously.

I realize the apple wine didn't come out nearly as rocket fuely as I thought it would. I am almost disappointed, really.
But I did start it during a heat wave and temperatures were reaching 30 C indoors and the must smelled fumey.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I definitely need to source a half gallon jug or two, I agree.
Supplies really suck in Canada. All the good stuff is online or across the border. I guess I need to plan a trip soon.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I definitely need to source a half gallon jug or two, I agree.
Supplies really suck in Canada.

Same here in Finland, very hard to get anything out of the ordinary. I got all of my big brown jugs from second hand stores like the Salvation Army and such.

You could rack into a smaller carboy or jugs and drink the extra now well before its ready, a common newbie experience. It can only get better but if you think its good now later when it actually has had time to mature a little assuming you can stop sampling until its gone it will be awesome. You can still add pectinase. This is only your first batches so enjoy and experiment. WVMJ

Back