So how long have you been brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
It amazes me how much knowledge can be found on this forum and I'm lucky (glad!) that I stumbled here a few years ago. I have learned a lot and (hopefully) contributed a little. So this got me thinking...how long have you been brewing?

I have always wanted to try this so my wife got my oldest daughter, who loves craft beer, and I a Groupon from one of those brew on-site places sometime in 2013 or '14 but we were both traveling a LOT and let it expire. My youngest daughter got me a gift certificate from the same place in Christmas of 2014.

I checked my logs and my first brew was a partial extract Pliney clone on 3/13/15 at the brew on-site place using their equipment. I went down the next day and bought my starter kit and brewed a batch at home 2 days later. I moved to all grain BIAB a few batches later, refined my processes many times, upgraded everything, and am still always looking for ways to improve.

I almost started back in 2001 after a trip to Germany but the owner of the LHBS here kinda scared me because I came back wanting to brew lagers and he talked me out of it due to temp control and said I should stick to ales. He was right (at the time) but I didn't think I liked ales at then...mostly drank pilsners and other light lagers (i.e. Coors). Beers like Guinness were for the cool, wannabe English guys, I didn't really know an ESB if you poured one over my head, and any other ale was out of the conversation.

My how taste changes and I wished I took the plunge back then!

So how long have you been in this crazy, fun hobby?

Started in early 2006. In 2005 I saw the Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode on brewing. I said I could do that, which quickly morphed into I have to do that! My sister bought me a starter kit for Christmas that year, and I brewed my first batch in around January or Feb 2006.

Went to all-grain on batch #7 that fall, and quickly got into kegging (I already had a kegerator). Through 10 years and various upgrades, I now have a single-tier 10-gallon 3-vessel brewing system, and a 6-tap kegerator.

I started making wine about 30 years ago or so. I always thought beer was too hard because of the boil and what seemed to be difficult. In 2000, I bought a "Beer Machine 2000" and tried a couple of batches. The beer wasn't very good. So it was a couple of years before I tried making an extract batch and that was really good. I got pretty into it when I broke my leg bad enough that I was in a wheelchair off and on for a year and needed something to keep me busy. So I got "serious" about brewing in about 2005 or so.

I still make wine, but make far more beer!

My dad tried it on his own back when the horror stories about extract brewing had some truth to them. It didn't turn out well. When I was 17 (circa 2002), mom got him another kit for Christmas and I brewed with him. it was a fun bonding thing we enjoyed together. Gradually I got more into it and he lost interest. Been brewing ever since. I started with a single fermenter and a 3 gallon pot. Now going on year 12 have worked my way into AG with lots of fun toys :ban:

Started in early 2006. In 2005 I saw the Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode on brewing. I said I could do that, which quickly morphed into I have to do that!

Probably my favorite food show. I love how Alton delves into the science behind everything

Still a newbie here. Started in 2012, with a Mr. Beer kit and some CraigTube stuff, in which I screwed up the carbonation/and got off flavors of all kinds. This was all the drive I needed to try to figure out how to make good beer. Got into extract short after, and that has evolved into all grain BIAB for me. Not sure if I'll advance to a 3 vessel system, but I know I am in the hobby for the long run

Looking at my brew log my first batch that I started tracking was on 7/7/15. That's when I started looking into expanding, upgrading to all grain and I decided to move away from kits and documenting everything. Prior to that I was brewing on and off for a couple of years with extract kits which was around 2012. :mug:

It all started with a home brew kit I received as a gift b/c I mentioned how it was something I would like to get into when I finished my degree (going back as an adult after work) and when my daughter was a little older (she was 2 years old then). Well the gift kickstarted it early and the obsession began. ;)

32 years. Started in 1985 with kits while at college in Florida. I'm sure it was pretty bad beer because we didn't worry about anything except making cheap alcohol. Got more serious in the 90's after switching to all grain. I still have most of my old brewing/recipe notebooks and it's interesting to reread and observe the progression over the years.

Had a Mr. Beer back in the early 90's. Did some extract brewing in the mid 2000's. Since I moved into a house in 2011, I'm brewing a lot.

First batch was November of 2016. First all grain in March of this year. 15 total batches under my belt, 16 and 17 coming before the end of the month.

All-grain since 1991 or 92, and extract / partial mash for roughly 4 years prior to that. I did have a roughly 15 year brewing layoff though, and I just got back into all-grain brewing in full earnest again a little over a year ago, upon my retirement. Retirement has also permitted me to concentrate more directly upon the science of brewing.

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

I have wanted brew for a long time, just never got around to it, first brew was September 2015. I read, and read, researched etc. Jumped right into all grain BIAB on my first brew, no extracts, no kits, followed some recipes.

Feb 2009. Was a Scottish 80 Shilling kit. Looking back it was not great but was good enough to get me hooked on brewing. I know now that I pitched the yeast too warm and it was full of fusels.
My neighbor who used to brew until he moved to the house that we moved next door to had never unpacked his brewing equipment so he let me borrow everything I needed. After that batch I was scrounging and building my own equipment.

Brewed my first beer at 14 years old - so 50 years ago!

I brewed a stout extract kit, and when it had fermented out I took one smell of it and threw it down the toilet. With hindsight it smelled just like a stout, and probably would have been fine. I'm not quite sure why I set about brewing, as I didn't really drink, but I do remember being being fascinated by the process - and I still am.

I've had many long gaps, during this time when I didn't brew, but have really got back into it in the last few years since having moved to France and been disappointed with the availability of beer that suits my taste.

June 2017, Brooklyn BrewShop double IPA. Didn’t bother to research the brewing process until after the fact. It was drinkable... Now I’m several batches in and trying to improve with each batch.

I didn't really like beer much, but in 1978 while stoned, I went
to the Beer Wine Cheese shop in Woodland Hills with Craig and we bought the ingredients for an extract batch. That locked me in as a beer drinker and I quit the weed. Tons of time away from brewing since then, but I came back for good in 2011 after the kids graduated from college.
I still buy ingredients at the same HBS!

Started in 2006.
I didn't even know it was legal.
I found a forum similar to this and began asking questions.
I found John Palmers book. Printed the whole thing out (Still have it in a ring binder)
Then... I found "Basic Brewing".
And the rest is history.

I started in 2010. 2 gallon gift kit of Irish Red. It was horrible, but I drank it.... My next 3 batches were pretty crap as well.
Looking back, I think I dove into this hobby because I failed so bad at the beginning. I just wanted to brew one beer as good as I could buy. I was a slow learner, but became obsessed. I dont look at beer the same amymore.

I've been brewing about 10 years now, all-grain about 6. Not as often as some folks around here - I'm not an every-weekend kind of guy (SWMBO would flip over the cost, time and storage of the beasts...) - but I try to brew 4 or 5 times a year on average.
I have a couple recipes dialed in just they way I want them, a few more that are close, and a list as long as my arm of things I want to get to.
At the moment I have a Russian River Consecration clone (sort of...) in secondary. I originally got the recipe kit from MoreBeer 4 or 5 years ago, I rebrewed the base beer, and am changing a couple things in the back end. Looking forward to trying it a year or so from now.

I started somewhere around 2008/2009. Birthday gift from the wife. How much I brew each year has varied so much since then. Every year is a crap shoot. Life just keeps getting busier and busier.

been brewing ten years on and off..believe or not still gotta alot of noob in me

I brewed beer for the very first time in 1978 while attending college and we needed to design a science project that demonstrated a conversion process. Beer seemed to fit the bill quite nicely.

I didn't start homebrewing regularly until around 1995 when I stumbled upon a copy of Charlie Papazian's book.

I started in 1991 but took a 6 year break between 2007 and 2013. I brewed one extract batch then switched to mashing grain for every batch.

In the 4 years since I started back I have gained 30 pounds.

Fermented fruit wines back in '79 in college and switched to beer after finding some Telfords & Edme canned extract at a cider mill in Webster, NY somewhere around '86 or '87. Ironically, a year later found some wild hops growing along the side of the road and the obsession was on! Breeding hops and still brewing on the same rig from back in the day!

brewery .jpg

I know, this is way longer than anybody wants to read, but here's my story:

I started brewing when I was 29, back in 1994. This was about 2 years after
my wife and I got married. We’ll be celebrating our 25th wedding
anniversary this year, which has been 23 of the best years of my
life!…(and don’t tell Kim I said that!)

Back then, my LHBS was Great Fermentations in Indianapolis, located
on 82nd street. I purchased a “Complete Homebrew Kit” for $39.99, a
“Glenbrew 7# Irish Stout” kit for $22.49, a copy of “Complete Joy Of
Homebrew” for $10.00, and a two page printout by GFI titled “Basic Brewing
Instructions for the Beginner Using Hop Flavored Malt Extracts.” The
receipt is dated one day before my 29th birthday, so it must have been my
birthday present from my wife! So I went home and learned how to brew beer.
In the early 90’s, our choices on ingredients and yeasts were not even close
to what we have now. The internet wasn’t really available to the public
yet, and I was brewing extract kits only. The recipes I got from GFI were
printed out on dot-matrix printer paper, and yes, I still have every one of
them! Most of them included liquid malt extract and dry yeast, and no
telling how old that can of LME was that came over from England!

Of course back then I was bottling, and I was using bleach and water for all
of my sanitizing because that’s what we did. For the first two years I brewed
about every other month. Each time I did, I set back a six pack of brew I
made for safe keeping. Then, I had a big beer party… I had about 4-5 cases
of multiple flavors of six packs and I asked everybody that came to the party
to bring a six pack of beer that they have never tried before. The reason
was, none of my friends drank anything but “big beer”, so I wanted to expand
everybody’s pallets a little bit. That party was a HUGE SUCCESS! I got
rave reviews for my beers, and ended up the next day with a BUNCH of free
beer in my fridge!

Over the next few years I slowed down a little bit, to a couple of batches a year.
Then when we had kids, I went probably another two or three years without
brewing. I know, nobody wants to admit it, but it happens to all of us.

The next few years I got back into it and brewed 2-3 batches a year. Then
I started to get motivated again, and started brewing on a regular basis.
At this point, I was probably 15 years into my brewing career. Keep in
mind, I am still just brewing extract kits after all this time. I was
really into the ease and convenience of kits, and I was brewing some very
good beer. At least that’s what my friends told me when they came over to
drink free beer! It wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I started
brewing all grain. I know that most people get into all grain much sooner
than that, but people need to know, you can can make some really good beer
brewing extract beers! I happen to know several people who have won awards
brewing extract kits in big competitions.

So, jump back to 2009. My wife and I started really enjoying drinking dry
red wine, as well as beer. I had tried a few peoples homemade wines in the
past, but they all sucked, so I wasn’t really that motivated to try making
my own wine. Well, in 2009 we decided to go to Austria to visit distant
cousins that we’d never met before. Turns out that we have two cousins that
live in this little village in Austria that have commercial wineries, and we
can even buy their wines here! After finding out that I came from a long
line of winemakers, that motivated me to start making wine. So, I started
researching on the internet. Turned out there was a HUGE amount of
information out there, and there was a bunch of people out there actually
making good wine. Who’d a thunk it?

My first wine I made was a honey mead wine. The recipe I used was “Joe’s
Ancient Orange Mead.” It’s a very simple mead recipe using 3.5 pounds of
honey protein gallon, one orange cut into quarters, one cinnamon stick, one
whole clove, a handful of raisins, and a pinch of nutmeg. Mix it together,
and add Flieschmanns bread yeast, and let it sit for two months without
touching it. At two months it will clear and most of the fruit will drop
out. (I know, you are thinking that’s just crazy talk using bread yeast,
but it’s a tried and true recipe that been made millions of times
successfully).

Even though I’ve never entered a single beer into a beer competition, I
decided to enter this mead into the Indy International Wine Competition. I
ended up winning Honey Wine Blend Of The Year 2010! I’m sure if the “mead
aficionados” knew I made a mead with bread yeast they’d verbally crucify me!
The next year, I started buying kit wines from Great Fermentations made by
WineExpert. I started making a bunch of kit wines. I also started entering
my wines in the Indy International. In 2011 I won Indiana Amateur Winemaker
of the year! The next year, I got red wine juice from Easley Winery. I got
some Chambourcin juice that was grown in southern Indiana, fermented it, and
then did a malolactic fermentation on it, entered it, and won Indiana Grown
Wine Of The Year! In a three or four year period I won about 30 medals,
bronze, silver, gold, and even three Double Golds! Now, I usually buy about
30 gallons a year of fresh juice from GFI, ferment it, keg it, and keep it
on tap with nitrogen.

I don’t think that the reason I won all these awards were some kind of magic
mojo I have, I honestly believe that it is because I followed the directions
and recipes EXATLY TO THE TEE! I made sure my fermentation temperatures
were just right, my sanitation was perfect, my timing of racking, oak
additions, malolactic Fermentations, etc., followed time tested schedules,
and most of all, I TOOK MY TIME. It’s all about consistency. You don’t
have to reinvent the wheel, just follow the dang directions!

Fast forward to last year, I decided to up my game! I built a single tier
R.I.M.S. System brew stand. I now have a 15 gallon Spike HLT, a 15 gallon
Spike MLT, and a 20 gallon Blichmann brew kettle. I’m now brewing 10-15
gallon batches, twice the amount of beer in the same amount of time! I now
also use BeerSmith software for designing my recipes. It really has helped
me get my recipes figured out, and helped me to brew consistently.

Needless to say, I am now making some pretty darn good beer. Just ask me!

About the same time I joined HBT. I actually studied and researched for months before I started brewing. I read the entirety of Palmer's How to Brew online before I even ordered my first kit. I purchased a Brewer's Best kit from Adventures in Homebrewing.

My first beer was an American Amber extract and all I had was a 2 gallon pot. I split the ingredients in half and did 2 boils that day. It ended up being about an 8 hour brew my first day... ridiculous! but it hooked me and I've been brewing since.

I started in spring 2014. I was looking to buy a 1 gallon starter kit as a gift for my step-father, but as I was researching it I figured 'this sounds so easy, why don't I do it myself?' Now I've brewed over a hundred batches (though unfortunately I've slowed down a lot over the last few months). And it's a good thing I didn't end up getting a kit for him, too. He loves drinking my home brew, but has absolutely no interest in making it himself

I made my first wine sometime right after they made it legal to do so in 1978. Tasted awful.

I started brewing in the mid to late 80's. Only extract then. I stopped for a while while raising kids. Restarted with all grain and have been busy ever since.

A buddy that my father-in-law (Scott) worked with bought a no boil Cooper's kit and told him about it. That got Scott intrigued and right before my birthday in 2009 (I think...) he said he was going to check out a brew store in San Antonio. I rode along, we bought a starter equipment kit and a Belgian something extract kit and the rest is history! We got pretty drunk and screwed up just about everything we could've screwed up on that beer. Scott almost went ass over fermenter carrying the bucket back to his place, hence Droppin' the Bucket Brewing. We thought that beer was awesome. Tried a bottle a few months later and tasted like nanners! We lived in BFE TX Hill country so I moved to AG pretty quickly and Scott wasn't far behind. We both make pretty damn good beer these days! I live in CO now so we always bring a few brews to share when we get together. Slainte!

2013 I was in my senior year of college and on a field trip carpooling with some classmates. The one driving was taking the class as part of his doctorate program and anyway we somehow got talking about weekend plans and he said he was going to brew some beer. I thought huh... that's pretty cool. So I asked him about it a little and he said he has been doing it for over 20 years and all this. I thought hey I like beer and I like projects and making stuff, why don't I make beer? This was probably in October so that Christmas I asked everyone I knew to get me start-up homebrewing stuff and I brewed my first extract batch before the New Year. So I have been brewing for going on 4 years this winter.

Edit: fun fact I started working as a contractor for this particular classmate after I graduated from college. Then I moved on to another job where we frequently consult with him. So I still get to see him often and swap beers with him. It's cool.

All grain since 2012. Had a friend who bought an all grain starter kit, complete with HLT . Surprisingly our HopSlam clone turned out drinkable even with me sticking my hand in the chilled wort and sucking on a tube to get the siphon started . I thought fly sparging was the only way to make beer for at least a year. I think we made every mistake you could but once the basic rules of sanitation were understood everything came out pretty darn good.
p.s. Don't use 3lbs of chocolate malt in a 5 gallon batch for a "pronounced chocolate flavor", turns out like motor oil.

lets call it 8 years, 4 or 5 years of extract in the 80s, about a 25 year break then 4 years of all grain.

I join this forum because almost every time I googled something beer related the most useful information was found here.

I started in early 2004. I had just moved to from San Diego. I was whining to my roommate that there were no West Coast IPA's to be found. So we drove to the LHBS and picked up a Wee Heavy kit for some reason.

1981 with the cheesy prehopped extract kits. By 1982 a friend and myself split the cost of an all grain system and we started brewing a BBL at a time to keep 2 large families(we were cousins) in beer. We had rented a cafe that closed down, installed TV's and had multi family football parties, holiday gatherings etc because we had a commercial kitchen and 2 banquet rooms plus the party room both families used at the same time. By the mid to late 80's everyone had started to move to far away and I had a 90 mile round trip to go brew on weekends after work so I sold my half to him.

I kept brewing on and off, mostly extract kits, until I retired and decided to go back to all grain. not sure how many batches later now, over 100 since I got back into it with a 3 tier all grain system. Doing 10 gallon batches most of the time now too!

And I am building out my own micro brewery/outdoor kitchen in a shed off my deck. I already have friends wanting to learn to brew and I figure I can rent space and recover the costs in a year or two!

I first brewed back in the 90's. I did extract only and brewed about a dozen batches before my son was born and just didn't have time. I stopped a lot of hobbies then: sailing, brewing, golf, etc. My beers back then turned out pretty good. I enjoyed drinking them and friends/family who had it liked it. I had requests for more.

Then in 2013 I had a hip replaced and my co-workers gave me a list of things to do while I was out (6 weeks). One was brew beer, so I got a Mr. Beer kit. It was awful.

Then, Dec of '16, I got a "brew day" from my wife as a gift. Spend a day at a brewery brewing a beer of my choosing with the head brewer. In talking with him, he had a nice collection of home brewing gear that he wasn't using anymore, so I got pretty much a full all grain brewing setup, including kegs, carboys, burner, kettle, cooler MLT, immersion chiller and all the other essentials for a couple hundred bucks.

Brewed my first all grain batch in March. It was awesome and I've been hooked ever since. I spend at least a couple hours a day reading about brewing, techniques, tips, problems and their solution, etc every day.

Back