so, how about them Tigers?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verlander pitched great! I may go to game 1 at Fenway. $200 for a cheap bleacher seat but man after last year I'd pony up.

I almost can't believe they won. Verlander was awesome as usual, and he finally got a few runs to back him up!

I'm just glad I don't have to look at Oakland's uniforms any more! I spent half an hour trying to adjust the saturation on my TV!

They looked good last night again, but couldn't hold on at the end. No good reason for losing that game. Don't pitch to Ortiz. Take a walk and the run.

Save for a miraculous gift in game 4 Verlander never even gets the chance. A's lost that more then the Tigers won it. No worries, I'll be rooting for the Tigers over the Red Sox.

MLB would institute a hard cap if they cared about competitive balance, but they don't want the Marlins, A's, KC's of the world to be in the fall classic when they could keep their NE cronies' pockets lined. If you got Bud Selig drunk on HB, he'd tell you that's also the reason the A's have a stadium deal in place in SJ, but can't get the red tape cleared for it to go forward.

Sour grapes from an A's fan...I admit it. But hats off to Verlander's game 5, that's why he makes the big bucks...and best of luck going forward, but I wouldn't bet on it. Boston's payroll is #4 and Detroits is only #5 :p

Edit: PS PP, it's not the A's' fault your tv sucks. :p

Save for a miraculous gift in game 4 Verlander never even gets the chance. A's lost that more then the Tigers won it. No worries, I'll be rooting for the Tigers over the Red Sox.

MLB would institute a hard cap if they cared about competitive balance, but they don't want the Marlins, A's, KC's of the world to be in the fall classic when they could keep their NE cronies' pockets lined. If you got Bud Selig drunk on HB, he'd tell you that's also the reason the A's have a stadium deal in place in SJ, but can't get the red tape cleared for it to go forward.

Sour grapes from an A's fan...I admit it. But hats off to Verlander's game 5, that's why he makes the big bucks...and best of luck going forward, but I wouldn't bet on it. Boston's payroll is #4 and Detroits is only #5 :p

Miraculous gift eh? How many strikeouts did he have again? ;-) Better luck next year!

Miraculous gift eh? How many strikeouts did he have again? ;-) Better luck next year!

Bases loaded, no outs 3-0 count.......did the pitcher not get INTO that mess to start with? The A's choked away the series in one half of an inning in game 4, you're welcome. Don't pretend you weren't sweating that series. LMAO...

I will reiterate, I ain't mad at the Tigers, I'm mad at my A's for choking. I hope the Tigers beat the redstockings all around. GL to your boys.

JV has to be so pissed. That guy pitches his ass off time after time and his guys just dont score. Is he cursed or something?

It aint over yet.

But Verlander has pitched, what 21 innings in the post season with one run given up? But how many runs has his offense scored in those 21 innings?

Who cares about the last 21 innings. It only took one run for the Sox to win tonight.

Again, Lackey was better.

Bulls Beers said:
Who cares about the last 21 innings. It only took one run for the Sox to win tonight. Again, Lackey was better.

But every pitcher is an all star when they face Verlander lately. Team is the second most proficient scoring team in MLB but have been shut out 4 of the last 6 JV starts.

But every pitcher is an all star when they face Verlander lately. Team is the second most proficient scoring team in MLB but have been shut out 4 of the last 6 JV starts.

It's like you're surprised that other teams have good starting pitchers too. LOL...I feel for Verlander though, he's doing his part.

jbaysurfer said:
It's like your surprised that other teams have good starting pitchers too. LOL...I feel for Verlander though, he's doing his part.
Surprised that other starting pitchers are good? That's silly. But surprised that a team that averages 5 runs a game is shut out 4 times in his last 6 starts? Yeah, that's a little surprising.

Surprised that other starting pitchers are good? That's silly. But surprised that a team that averages 5 runs a game is shut out 4 times in his last 6 starts? Yeah, that's a little surprising.

Yeah, it is silly. That's why I LOL'd. Look, your ace goes against other aces, stuff happens. I acknowledged straight out that he was doing his part, but sometimes I think fans of certain teams think "damned our luck!" when in reality, it's just the same luck other teams deal with all the time.

A good example is the A's fans thinking it's crap luck to have to face Verlander twice in a 5 game postseason series including the game 5, then having to do it again the following year. Ya dig? All teams have some improbably poor luck to deal with time to time.

It's early in the series. If Cabrera actually is the second coming of JC, and Fielder isn't at an overnight lockin at the Golden Corral, they'll continue the hitting that got the Tigs to the ALCS. I'm loving this series, even without the Rays a part of it.

(My smack talk about the Rays is officially over till next season, ugh)

jbaysurfer said:
Yeah, it is silly. That's why I LOL'd. Look, your ace goes against other aces, stuff happens. I acknowledged straight out that he was doing his part, but sometimes I think fans of certain teams think "damned our luck!" when in reality, it's just the same luck other teams deal with all the time. A good example is the A's fans thinking it's crap luck to have to face Verlander twice in a 5 game postseason series including the game 5, then having to do it again the following year. Ya dig? All teams have some improbably poor luck to deal with time to time.

Based in this, I think you completely misunderstand me. There's no "damn the luck" going on here. I'm allocating blame, is all.

All I am saying is this: Lackey pitched a very good game. But Verlander pitched a better game. To point to the one run given up as proof that Lackey was better yesterday ignores the other side of the equation. The other side of the equation is that Tigers hitters have clearly declared JV start days to be vacation days for the past month or so.

"Damn the luck" never (or at least VERY rarely) enters into sports talk with me. I'm just saying before you hand Lackey the Cy Young award, look at how poorly that lineup hits in every Verlander start. They make everyone look good when Justin is on the mound.

jbaysurfer said:
Ridire, it's all good man. :mug:

It's much more good after that second inning.

Here's my theory of why Leyland's a genius. He orchestrated the steroid suspension of Peralta early in the season knowing he could manipulate a trade for Iglesias that would result in Peavy moving to Boston and pitching in the 2nd inning of game 4 of the ALCS. Brilliant.

You do realize the poor teams get huge checks from revenue sharing and they pocket it. The Twins are owned by one of the richest owners in baseball and he just wants the money. Did you see the money the Astros made?

Here check it out. Now tell me thats Bud lining pockets?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalex...lls-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/

The Rays and A's have been in it the last few years and just can't get it done.

Also they redid the draft to stop the big spenders from "stealing" college kids.

^ OT. I realize all that. I was talking about competitive balance. The A's had almost triple the payroll as the Stros in that list. They also have a stadium deal fully funded and rubberstamped that Selig himself has dragged is feet on for the better part of a decade and is currently being sued by the city of SJ over.
But alas this is about the Tigers...Big game tonight...will Sherzer repeat his game two performance? Will he get run support? I'm predicting a game 7.

Sox do have an amazing game 6 record. Id like to see it end tonight. Having to beat Verlander is playing with fire even though he has ok alcs career numbers. i assume he will give up no more than 2 and Lackey cannot replicate his last start.

Sox do have an amazing game 6 record. Id like to see it end tonight. Having to beat Verlander is playing with fire even though he has ok alcs career numbers. i assume he will give up no more than 2 and Lackey cannot replicate his last start.

I hear ya on that. I would definitely like to see this end tonight. Game 7 against Verlander is extremely risky business, so lets end this tonight Red Sox Nation!

Latest posts

Back