So, green corrosion inside the tap of a kegerator is the problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've got an old 4 top coffin kegerator that had set for years with warm with old beer in the lines. Yeahhh… bad idea... Fuzzy hazey lines. I tried to BLC it out and left the BLC in a little long- over night. When I took the tap shank and tap apart I've got what looks like green copper corrosion on various copper or brass parts, I think. I think I may have caused some metal corrosion from long BLC contact or it just happened with time, not sure. I had some type of citric acid copper scale remover I used in a copper espresso machine once. Do you think that might work? Suggestions for cleaning or just but stainless replacement parts? Think I should still use it once green goo is gone or pony up for new parts? I saw some old threads on this but was unsure what you all think. Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

Stainless Steel is the prefered material for homebrew faucets and related (serving) equipment, such as shanks, taps, connectors, etc.

Once the plating wears off chrome plated brass equipment, the brass is exposed and copper is exposed to various components, such as acidic beer, cleaners, acid sanitizers, and copper green is the result. It slowly dissolves and ends up in your beer and ... guts.

So, yeah, best to pony up the moolah for the good stuff. Forward sealing stainless steel faucets.

You can clean the copper green off with some light abrasives and brushes. Rinse well. But it will reappear if left for longer time in a corrosive environment, such as beer, cleaners, sanitizers, etc.

BLC is not a magic cleaner. It's similar to (homemade) PBW or Oxiclean with some TSP or TSP/90 in it.

Replace the lines, they're cheap, and can't be saved.

Or better yet, switch to 4mm ID EVAbarrier line with corresponding push-fit adapters throughout. Use them also for your gas lines to prevent oxygen getting to your beer through there.

There are many threads about all this.

Thanks Island Lizard for the information. I've gotten new lines delivered already, as it was obvious BLC alone was not enough, and I'd never drink anything that was pushed through that fuzzy mess. Now to start getting stainless shank/tap parts.

Steve

Reconsider your lines. It's Sunday, nothing is being shipped out today...

The best part of the newer EVAbarrier lines is that they have an oxygen barrier, and the smaller inner diameter allows for shorter line lengths while preventing excessive foaming at the same time. They're also very flexible, which is another plus.

You do need the Duotight or John Guest push-fit adapters for them.
Do it once, do it right!

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/532-EVABarrier-Beer-Tubing-39-foot-roll-P4680.aspx
This place has a better description and usage recommendations (but apparently are out of the 4mm):
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/evabarriertubing4mm55.htm

thanks IL for the line suggestions and the sources. I may use the current new line that has been delivered and save that for the next line upgrade for the future. I spoke with our local brew shop who can provide the stainless upgrade for tap/shank.

Steve

First check Ritebrew.com, at least for your own education and comparison. It's my go to place for many things.
Homebrewers really like their Intertap and Perlicks:
Faucets: Faucets
Shanks: Shanks
There are others. Pricing can vary widely.

Don't want to be pushy, MoreBeer also has the EVA barrier line in full rolls, forgot to mention that.

Back