Smoking Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
Anyone ever smoke any grains?

I want to try and smoke my grains and make a smoked port (I wish I could make one as nice as the Alaska smoked porter).

If you've tried it what temperature did you smoke at and for how long? I assume a low temperature?

Also, what wood did you use and how did it turn out?

Thanks!

Roasted & smoked a couple of batches for the first time last year. Easy to do. I started with light 2-row as a base malt. Roasted that to Amber, then smoked it.

Smoked grain is potent stuff...go easy on it in your recipe. Maybe look at other recipes using smoked grains for a guideline.

Good short book on the subject: "Roasted: ..." by Jason Johnson. Available on Amazon (Kindle) and has a section specifically on smoking grains.

Anyone ever smoke any grains?

I want to try and smoke my grains and make a smoked port (I wish I could make one as nice as the Alaska smoked porter).

If you've tried it what temperature did you smoke at and for how long? I assume a low temperature?

Also, what wood did you use and how did it turn out?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure they use Alder to smoke the grains for that beer. Can't help on temp as i am wondering the same thing as you. :mug:

I have never smoked grains before and I am experienced in BBQ. I've dried out some spent grain in the past, so if I had to guess at a temp I would say under 200. I would also guess you would want to use a light bodied wood such as a cherry or pear.

Like I said, never done this before, but those are my educated guesses.

You want to cool smoke your rolled grain (malt) at 200F and spritz with water from a laundry sprayer every 20 minutes. The grain should be on screens. I use a cast iron smoke box and used small pieces of beech over a propane burner on low. The wood should be mixed 1/3 dry and 2/3 wet. Spritz wood if not naturally fresh. I then put smoked grain after two hours in a paper bag lined with paper towels for 2 weeks to t ake any harshness out. Castle Smoked Porter: 5 gallons finished. 7 lbs 11.2 oz 2 row malt, 2 lbs 9.6 oz smoked raw rolled barley, 14 oz crystal 40, 14 oz crystal 80, 14 oz munich 10L, 10.6 chocolate malt, 7.25 oz black (patent) malt, 1 oz ek Goldings 5.00% -60 min, .75 williamette 5.5% - 30 min, .5 williamette 5.5% -15 min, irish moss - 10 minutes and .25 oz ek goldings 5.00% aroma steep 0 minutes and .25 oz williamette 5.5% steep 0 minutes. yeast US - 05 , mash at 152f - 60 minutes, sG 1.068 after boil, collect 7.0 gallons wort FG = 1.012 ibu = 29.8 color = 34.6 srm. made in oct and ready for Christmas.. I called in campfire in a glass under my top label. Good smooth brew!

I bought some of those cheap aluminum pans and poked lots of holes in them. Each pan holds about 5 pounds and I have 2 shelves in my smoker so I do 10 pounds at a time. With my smoker I can burn the wood in the firebox and have the smoker never get over 120F. I generally use a about 2 pounds of pecan sticks and burn them for about 1-1.5 hours. Like the pigroaster I spray the malt and stir every ten minutes, then once it's done I put all the malt in an open paper sack for a couple of weeks. I've used this malt for smoked lagers, porters and a pale ale once(not my best). 5 pounds is plenty in a 10 gallon recipe. I've tried mesquite(too harsh), apple(not bad), and pecan(everybody's favorite), but use wood found in your area and don't be afraid to try different woods. This thread has convinced me it's time to smoke some malt.

Back