Smoked Brett Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverick14

Reaction score
Howdy,

Below is a recipe I'm looking at brewing in the next few weeks. This will be the first time using Brett, so I'm a little cautious. Does it look OK?

2.5kg Ale Malt
1.5kg oak smoked wheat malt
0.2kg aciduated malt

25g EKG @ 60min
30g EKG @ 20
30g EKG @ 5

WLP565.

I intend to pitch the WLP565 with a good size starter and fermenter normally and let it hopefully stall at about 1.020 like many reports say it does then transfer to a secondary fermenter and drop some WLP650 Brett.
I'm going to leave it for 6 months to age then keg.

Thoughts?
Scott.

I think it could use a little bit more maltiness. Something with a little sweetness to cut through the smoke and dryness that will come from a saison yeast and brett. I have a smoked saison recipe in my drop down list under my name if you want to take a look at that.

Your fermentation schedule looks good though, WLP650 is supposed to be really funky, less fruity. If you want that saison yeast to stall, keep the airlock on. Supposedly, removing the airlock will cause the yeast to ferment to completion

Thanks for the reply, I might look at a small amount of caramunich to add a touch of sweetness.

I'm going for a real funky flavour from the Brett and not the tropical fruit flavour, hence picking the WLP650.

Be sure to report back after you try it. I'm coincidentally looking to do something similar, but with more oak smoked wheat and less barley. Like a smoked hefe grain bill but with saison/brett blend.

Back