Smelly fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I am brewing a double IPA. This is the first time I've used WLP 051. It kind of smells weird coming out of the airlock. Does this yeast normally give off a weird smell or is there something wrong? I did use a starter, and the airlock is bubbling like it should.

What kind of weird smell? Most yeasts give off weird smells when fermenting. It's usually a good thing. Whatever gets blown out of the beer during fermentation is not staying in the beer. Let it ferment out normally, taste it and see what happens. If it goes wrong then you'll have a reference aroma int he future to give you a heads up.

Yeast can give off some pretty funky smells during fermentation, it's not anything to worry about. It's a good thing that I have a fermentation chamber in the garage that keeps these smells contained - otherwise the wife might not be too happy about my brewing...

I had a Hefeweizen fermenting in the house. One day we walked in and were greeted by a horrendous stench. Immediately, we searched the house to see what one of out three dogs had done. As soon as I got close to the fermenter, I knew the source of the stench.

This ended up in a ringing endorsement for an additional refrigerator to use as a fermentation chamber in the garage. Use it to your advantage.

I'm not really worried about the smell, just never experienced it. Normally I like the smell of the fermentation process. It's bubbling nicely, so I'm not going to mess with it. I was just curious.

Latest posts

Back