Smell indoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
My wife finally agreed to let me go electric. Part of the original agreement for me to even start brewing was that I brew outdoors because she cannot stand the smell.

My question to all you indoor brewers is this. With a proper hood vent over my keggles, will the smell ( witch I LOVE!!) Spread to the rest of the house? Or does the hood vent get rid of it all?

I should mention I am going to set it up in the basement.

I need a non bias opinion and yhanks in advance!! Cheers!!

If you can set up a decent airflow that will let outside air into the brew room, and vent indoor air out you should be alright. Range hoods do vary in their abilities, I'd be more inclined for a bathroom fan (or 2) combined with open window for air circulation. Leave then on and open the whole time, and a while after.

I brew indoors, fortunately have the corner condo unit. I open up windows or crack the patio doors a few inches to get that nice vortex effect when it isn't -40C outside. Next day can barely tell I was brewing at all. You'll need to test it out and see with your particular setup.

Zepth pointed out the most important thing. Open window. With a good exhaust fan you'll need to replace the air being exhausted. Open a window across from where you're brewing and get a good cross wind going.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cross flow deff a good idea. I wad going to build a hood with an inline fan.

With a proper hood vent over my keggles, will the smell ( witch I LOVE!!) Spread to the rest of the house?
With proper ventilation, no. Not at all. I have my basement brewery with a door and a makeup air system so there's no issues with this at all. The key is proper flow of air in and out.

Kal

Back