SMaSH party?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbrookie

Reaction score
I've got several friends that are interested in learning about brewing and beer. At the same time, I'd like to expand my knowledge as it pertains to hops. I was thinking that I might be able to pull off something that worked for everyone. Please chime in if you think I can simplify or improve the process:

I plan to pre-mash and pre-boil 6 gallons of wort (just a simple 2-row wort.) Something that will generate a simple 4% ale. I'll pre-bitter it up to about 12 IBU. Flavor and aroma hops will be deliberately left out.

On "brew day," we'll split up the wort into six 1 gallon batches and I'll assign a pack of hops to go with each batch. Each person or team can then heat their wort to boil and hop it. (should only take a 15 minute boil since we've already had a hot and cold break when we made the wort, right?)

We can then ferment these small batches in 1 gallon jugs.

There's two things that I really need to know though. One, do I need to worry about dms production during that second boil? Secondly, I just planned to bottle in those same gallon jugs (rack off of yeast cake into fresh jug). All the numbers that I find for bottling are for 12 and 22oz bottles. Can someone point me to a calculation based on volume and head space for custom bottling?

Seems legit to me.

I don't think you need to worry about DMS production since it would have been boiled off in the initial boil.

I don't think those gallon jugs are meant to hold pressure, are they? I would be wary of bottling in them - the same reason people say not to bottle in glass growlers.

Latest posts

Back