Smallest freezer for fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
What is the smallest freezer one can fit a standard bucket and/or 5 gallon keg into?

I use a 5.1cu chest freezer with temp control module for lagers. Fits 1x 5gal bucket. I also use it for carbonating kegs. I can fit 2 ball lock kegs.

Looking at pictures of 3.5 cf chest freezer interiors it doesn't look like there's enough room to fit a 5+ gallon bucket or carboy without hanging up on the hump. Best bet would be to take whatever you use as a fermentor to your local big box store and see what might fit...

Cheers!

I use a 5.1cu chest freezer with temp control module for lagers. Fits 1x 5gal bucket. I also use it for carbonating kegs. I can fit 2 ball lock kegs.
I'm about to invest in this same setup...question for you:
Are you able to keep your kegs in the freezer, whilst fermenting a bucket? Does the fermentation temp your trying to hit, mess with the temps of the kegs much?

My first one was 5CF. Held 1 bucket. If in doubt, grab a bucket and trundle on down to the appliance store. If the clerk gives you grief, just growl at them :) And, BTW, the same 5cf freezer also holds 3 slim kegs and a 10 pound co2 tank. Don't ask me how I know :)

5.1Cu chest freezer does not have enough space for the bucket and kegs so I have to plan ahead if I want to brew a Lager.
If there was enough room though, fermentation temp would be too high to gain any benefit from keeping reserve kegs cold.
I try to Lager at a lower temp than my serving temp to reduce chill haze. But since I don't mind cloudy beer, if I had a bigger chest freezer I would just use the carbonation chart to carb at 55 deg so that I can keep the beer from the Texas heat while fermenting.

Back