Smaller diameter Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grond

Reaction score
Is there a source for any smaller diameter kegs than what seems to be the standard of 8.5"? I recently bought a small chest freezer that I intend to convert to a keezer,..but due to some misleading info from the seller and lack of due diligence on my part...there isn't enough room to put 2 Corny's next to each other. If I could find 8" diameter kegs, two would fit perfectly, or if there is such a thing as a 7" diameter keg, that would be ideal.

Is this wishful thinking? Please let me know if y'all have any solutions!

My understanding is there are 2 sizes of keg. One is taller and narrower than the other. I honestly can't remember which I have. I believe many times the rubber foot at the bottom of the keg is a liiiitle bid wider than the rest of the keg. Are you placing 2 kegs side by side or diagonally within the base well of he freezer? I have a 5CF freezer which fits 3 kegs. 2 in the well diagonally and the third on the compresser hump along with the CO2 cylinder.

Probably not enough to help you but More Beers Slimline Torpedo Kegs are advertised as 8-5/16. Eyeballing mine are slightly smaller. Plus you can stack a 1.5g and 2.5G in the space of 1 5g.

ball locks are 8.5" and pin locks are slightly wider.

The problem is basically this...all the newer freezers typically have less "depth" than the older ones. Most likely is due to them being manufactured in assorted Asian countries. They were likely initially intended for smaller spaces...think micro sized apartments and houses. Instead of making a US specific model for export, they just changed the voltage on existing units that were "close enough" to what Americans want/need in size.

Traditionally, appliances all were roughly the same dimensions. Built in the US to fit "standard" US spec homes.

I have an old US built 5cf that fits 3 kegs on the floor. And an older US built 7cf that fits 5 on the floor. It will swallow 6 but it's very "tight".

Back